| Updated On February 12th, 2020 at 10:23 am
With SSC CGL just a few days away, all the appearing candidates must be preparing for the exam in full flow with total focus and determination. The SSC CGL 2019 Tier 1 exam is scheduled to be held from 2nd to 11th March 2020. At this stage of the exam, aspirants are in different states of mind about how to make strategies to prepare for each section in the SSC CGL exam, about the exam pattern and which are the important topics to be prepared first. To help the appearing candidates score as much as possible and clear all the existing doubts, we are providing some valuable tips which will surely help you in improving your SSC CGL marks.
Understanding the Exam Pattern and syllabus
The first thing you need to do is going through the syllabus and the pattern of the exam of all 3 tiers. Get a print out of the syllabus, have a good look at it and plan your studies accordingly. Adding smart work to your hard work will do wonders for you Knowing the important topics for exams is very important. For example, you know that advance maths holds much importance in both tier 1 and tier 2, so practice those topics more.
Preparation Plan for each section
SSC CGL Tier-1 Exam contains 4 sections namely: Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, General English and General Awareness. In order to crack the exam, it is really important to make a preparation strategy for the exam. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses and for competitive exams, it is very important to understand your plus and minus points. While working on strengths gives us confidence, improving our weak points may become a big pain. To help you with that here are the section-wise preparation tips.
- General Intelligence and Reasoning: Here are some tips which will help you ace the General Intelligence and Reasoning Section of SSC CGL 2019-20 Exam.
- Improve your logical skills:This section tests the candidate’s problem solving and thinking ability, so you need to sharpen your logical and analytical skills.
- Focus on one topic at a time: Take one topic at a time, reasoning requires you to think in a certain way and doing 2-3 different types of topics in one go may not be fruitful.
- Don’t get stuck at one question: One or two questions will be there to eat your time. They contain the most absurd logic. So, if you come across any such questions leave them. Remember each question contains equal marks.
- Think Logically: Always remember that the given question will be solved by the data given only, and you need to apply logic to the provided data. Use smart and appropriate tricks and methods for solving any problem.
- Quantitative Aptitude: This section is there in both Tier I and II Papers and is very important in order to score good marks in SSC CGL.
- Working on Basics: Don’t start using shortcuts from the first day itself. Try to learn the basics of all the topics first and get in-depth knowledge.
- Managing Time: Give proper time to important topics covered in the exam. First, you need to focus on your weak areas and spend more time solving them to strengthen them. Do practice your strong but, allocate little less time to them. As you gain more and more confidence slowly increase your speed too and try to solve every question within one minute.
- Learn Short-cut Methods: In order to solve a question within a minute you need to increase your calculation speed, students must focus on the short-cut methods and tricks which will help in saving time for solving tough questions in the exam. To gain accuracy and speed try to practice tricks and remember tables, cubes, squares, and square roots, etc.
- General English: English subject can give you an edge over other students because most of the students tend to score equally in Maths in exams. English makes all the difference and that’s where the success lies.
- Improve your Vocabulary: Here are some ways through which look you can improve your vocabulary:
- Thesaurus: This is an easy way to study and memorize words. There are a lot of online thesauruses available in which a word and its opposite words can be found in one place.
- Learn at least one word a day: Develop a habit of learning a few new words a day. This will help in improving your vocab and will improve your command over the English language.
- Improve your English Grammar: In order to score more in English section, candidates must have proper understanding of Grammar usage while attempting questions from the ‘English Language and Comprehension’ section. spotting the errors, jumbled phrases require good knowledge of English grammar. Knowledge of grammar comes over a period of time and it can’t be gained in a few days. Following the rules of grammar is very important to score marks in this section
- Improve your Reading Comprehension Skills: Just like grammar, reading comprehension skills also cannot be build overnight. In order to crack the reading comprehension part and to develop reading skills, it is suggested to develop a habit of reading. Reading newspapers is a good option and will surely improve your reading skills as well as Current Affairs. Try to read editorial sections especially to improve the reading skills.
- General Awareness: General Awareness is the most important section of the SSC CGL Tier-1 Exam. This is the only section that can be attempted quickly and at the same time, very high marks can be scored in this section.
- Make Notes & Study daily: Making notes of the topics and start studying them daily is a very important if you want to score well in this section. You should jot down all the points in one place to make it easy for revision. You can also make a study plan and allot proper time for each topic of the subject. This will help you in covering all the topics of the subject.
- Stay updated with the current affairs: Current affairs are majorly asked in the SSC CGL Tier I Exam.To prepare current affair you will have to prepare them on a daily basis and revise them atleast once a week. In SSC CGL Exam, normally current affairs of the last 6 months are majorly asked. Sometimes questions from the last one year can also come. you need to also prepare international current affairs also.