Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana(PMKSY) was one of the much needed initiative to tackle drought and irrigation facilities across the nations that is majorly dependent on Monsoons for the agricultural activities. The rainfall is erratic throughout the Indian Subcontinent so Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) solves the problem of irrigation to an extent. In this Article, we will discuss the key facts and objectives of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) scheme important for all competitive exams.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 15th July 2015.
- The motto of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana(PMKSY) government scheme is Har Khet Ko Pani.
- It is being executed to magnify cultivated area with guaranteed irrigation, shrink wastage of water and improve water use efficiency.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana not only focuses on generating sources for assured irrigation, but also creating protective irrigation by harnessing rain water at micro level through Jal Sanchay and Jal Sinchan.
- Micro irrigation is also incentivized through subsidy to ensure Per drop – More crop.
- The scheme targets at bringing concerned Ministries/Departments/Agencies/Research and Financial Institutions engaged in creation/use/recycling/potential recycling of water under a mutual platform.
- A comprehensive and holistic view of the entire water cycle is taken into account and proper water budgeting is done for all sectors specifically, household, agriculture and industries.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana(PMKSY)is administered and supervised by an Inter-Ministerial National Steering Committee (NSC) instituted under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister with Union Ministers from concerned Ministries.
- A National Executive Committee (NEC) has been established under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog to administer programme implementation, allocation of resources, interministerial coordination, monitoring & performance assessment, addressing administrative issues etc.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved enactment of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) for 2021- 26 with an outlay of Rs. 93,068 crores.
- The CCEA has approved central support of Rs. 37,454 crores to States and Rs. 20,434.56 crore of debt servicing for loan availed by Government of India for irrigation development during Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana 2016-21.
- PMKSY programme components: Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Har Khet Ko Paani (HKKP) and Watershed Development components have been approved for continuation during 2021-26.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, the Saryu Nahar National Project inaugurated by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 11th December 2021 in Balram, Uttar Pradesh was originally started in 1978 but due to lack of support it was pending since then.
- An Outlay of Rs. 93,068 crores, including Rs. 37,454 crores central assistance to States will benefit to about 22 lakh farmers, including 5 lakh SC and 2 lakh ST farmers.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, 90% grant to two National Projects- Renukaji (Himachal Pradesh) and Lakhwar (Uttarakhand) -critical for water supply to Delhi and also to other participating States (Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, UP, Haryana and Rajasthan) and for rejuvenation of river Yamuna.
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme – a flagship programme of Government of India aims for financial support to irrigation projects. Total additional irrigation potential creation targeted during 2021-26 under AIBP is 88 lakh hectare.
- Apart from focused completion of 60 ongoing projects including their 30.23 lakh hectare command area development, additional projects can also be taken up under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- The inclusion criteria have been relaxed for projects under Tribal and Drought Prone Areas, 30.23 lakh hectare of command area development works.
- Under Har Khet Ko Pani, 4.5 lakh hectare irrigation through surface minor irrigation and rejuvenation of water bodies, and 1.52 lakh hectare ground water irrigation in appropriate blocks
- The sanctioned Watershed Development component under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana of Department of Land Resources visualizes completion of approved projects covering 49.5 lakh hectare rainfed/ degraded lands to bring extra 2.5 lakh hectare under protective irrigation, during 2021-26.
- The foremost objective of under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana is to achieve coming together of investments in irrigation at the field level, expand cultivable area under assured irrigation, improve on-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage of water, enhance the adoption of precision-irrigation and other water saving technologies (More crop per drop).
- It seeks to enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices by exploring the feasibility of reusing treated municipal waste water for peri-urban agriculture and attract greater private investment in precision irrigation system.
- PMKSY has been conceived amalgamating ongoing schemes such as Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD&GR), Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (DoLR) and the On Farm Water Management (OFWM) of Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) will be implemented by Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development.
UP Exam Prime Test Pack (12 Months Validity)
PRADHAN MANTRI KRISHI SINCHAI YOJANA (PMKSY): FAQS
Q. When was Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) launched?
Ans. 15th July 2015
Q. What is the Motto of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)?
Ans. Har Khet ko Paani
Q. What is the budget outlay of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)?
Ans. Rs. 93,068 crores
Q. How much amount is allocated to States for Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)?
Ans. Rs. 37,454 crores
Q. Which Ministry will implement this scheme of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)?
Ans. Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development.