An article is a word or a letter which is often used before a noun and tells about the certainty of that noun.
There are two types of articles:
- Indefinite Article (A/An)
- Definite Articles (The)
Articles can be used before noun, but not all nouns are used with articles. Therefore, it becomes necessary to understand the correct usage of articles.
Tips And Tricks
1. Indefinite Articles (A, AN)
Indefinite Articles are used to introduce new concepts (noun phrase) into a discourse. These articles are called indefinite because their usage implies that the thing, which is being referred to is nonspecific.
For Example – He caught a bird. (any bird).
Note: Indefinite articles are generally used before “Countable Singular Nouns”
Usage of ‘A’
1. If the first letter of a countable singular common noun is ‘Consonant’, ‘A’ is used before it.
For Example – (a) Rajeev has bought a new car
(b) I have caught a fish
2. ‘A’ is used with a singular countable common noun when the noun denotes a complete class of
For Example – A dog has four legs.
In the above sentence, ‘A’ has been used before ‘dog’ because we are talking about a complete class of dogs.
3. ‘A’ is used before a Profession, rank, title, religion, nationality, etc.
For Example – A teacher, A Japanese, A Hindu.
4. ‘A’ is used before singular countable nouns and after ‘what’ and ‘How’, in exclamatory sentences.
For Example – (a) What a beautiful painting!
(b) What a great match it was!
5. ‘A’ is used before an indefinite collective noun.
For Example – A team of cricket players, A bundle of money
6. ‘A’ is used to express the rate.
For Example– Ten rupees a kilo, Fifty words a minute.
Note: we can also use ‘per’ in the place of ‘a’ in the above expressions. Ten Rupees per kilo, Fifty words per minute
7. We use ‘A’ before an adjective, when the adjective is followed by a singular noun.
For Example – (a) Madhuri is a good dancer.
Usage of ‘AN’
1. If the first letter of a countable singular noun is a vowel, then ‘An’ is used before it.
For Example –
(a) He is an astronaut.
(b) He ate an apple.
2. We use ‘An’ before some abbreviations which start with ‘H, L, M, N, F, R, S, X, etc.
(a) He is an MLA.
(b) She works for an N.G.O.
Note: We can use ‘an’ in the place of ‘a’ whenever the indefinite article is followed by a noun, which starts with a ‘vowel sound’.
Note: Indefinite articles (‘A’/ ‘An’) Are used on the basis of the ‘initial sound’ of a noun and not on the first letter of the same, because usage of ‘A/An’ depends on the initial sound of the noun and not on its spelling.
For Example – We write ⇒ ‘An honest man’ (not ‘A honest man’)
⇒’An hour ago’, (not ‘a hour ago’)
Similarly, we write: A union. (not ‘an union’)
A European (not ‘an European’)
The Omissions of Indefinite Articles (An/An)
1. Indefinite Articles are not used with a ‘Plural Noun’
For Example – A cars are parked (wrong)
Cars are parked (correct)
2. Indefinite Articles are not used before the name of “meals”, “Sports’, Subjects’, ‘language’, etc.
For Example – (a) Harsh was absent from a dinner (wrong)
Harsh was absent from dinner (correct)
(b) I am playing a Tennis (wrong)
I am playing Tennis (Correct)
(c) She is teaching a Hindi right now. (wrong)
She is teaching Hindi right now. (correct)
2. Definite Articles (The)
Definite Article (the) is used when the noun with which it is used is a particular one, which is identifiable to the listener. It may also be used for a noun that has already been mentioned or is uniquely specified.
For Example – “This is the boy who played cricket.”
In the above sentence, the boy has been specified to be the one ‘Who played cricket’.
Note: Unlike indefinite articles, the definite article can be placed before both singular and plural nouns.
For Example – (a) She called the doctor.
(b) One of the boys is absent.
Uses of Definite Article (The)
1. Definite article (The) is used before a noun if it is followed by a relative pronoun stressly.
For Example – (a) He is the boy who plays Guitar.
(b) She is the girl who plays Tennis.
(c) This is the dog which I bought.
2. Definite article (The) is used before the name of commission, Rivers, Seas, Gulfs, Deserts, Direction, Canals, historical caste, Name of titles and posts, buildings and monuments,
Religious books, Community, Holy Scriptures, etc.
For Example– The Ganga, The Arabian Gulf, The Pacific Ocean, The Mahabharata, The Gita, The Taj Mahal, The Iron Man, The Father of the Nation.
3. ‘The’ is used before an adjective if that adjective is followed by proper noun.
For Ex – Yesterday, I met the great Sachin Tendulkar.
4. ‘The’ is used before common noun whenever it is used as adjective.
For Example – When Sonam saw a hungry girl crying, the mother came in her.
5. ‘The’ is used whenever two proper nouns are compared.
For Example – Prabhu Deva is the Michael Jackson of India.
6. ‘The’ is always used before “Superlative degree”
For Example – (a) Shyam is the fattest boy of his class.
(b) Rahul is the best player of his team.
Q. Which Book is best to learn articles?
Ans. Students can learn articels and all the other important topics of english from English Language eBook or English Language Book.
Q. What all exams does it cover?
Ans. Aspirants can prepare for all the SSC exams like CGL, CHSL, CPO and other govt. Exams.
Q. How to buy these book?
Ans. To buy these books or any other study material. Follow these simple steps
- Visit the adda247 store at store.adda247.com
- Choose the product you want to buy at the best price.
- Add the product to your cart by logging in.
- Proceed to checkout and make the payment.
The omissions of definite Article
1. Definite Article (The) is not used before the name of language and sports.
For Example – (a) The Hindi is our national language. (Wrong)
Hindi is our national language (correct)
(b) The Hockey is my favourite sport. (Wrong)
Hockey is my favourite sport. (Correct)
2. Definite Article is not used before the name of day, month, parts of day.
For Example – (a) The Monday is the first day. (Wrong)
Monday is the first day. (Correct)
(b) The December is the last month. (Wrong)
December is the last month.
3. ‘The’ is not used before the name of meals
For Example – The breakfast was very delicious. (Wrong)
Breakfast was very delicious. (Correct)
4. Definite article (The) is not used before these words.
“Life, money, Pride, God, Love, Society, Parliament, Death” and name of subjects.
For Example – (a) The love is as important as the air we breathe. (Wrong)
Love is as important as the air we breathe (Correct)
(b) The mathematics is an interesting subject (wrong)
Mathematics is an interesting subject. (Correct)
⇒ But, if the words given above are particularised or if the name of the subjects is particularised,
we use definite article before them.
For Example – (a) The love of mother is incomparable. (Correct)
(b) The Mathematics of Priya are good. (Correct)
5. Define article should not be used before these places if we go there for the primary purpose.
“Church, Mosque, Temple, School, College, Court, Prison, Hospital, Library, University, Jail (as accused).”
For Example– (a) I went to the temple to worship. (Wrong)
I went to temple to worship. (Correct)
- Upcoming Government Jobs 2022, List for 39,000+ Fresh Vacancies
- Calendar for Upcoming Government Exams 2022-23, Government Exams List
- RRB NTPC CBT 2 Admit Card 2022, City Wise Link Active
- RRB NTPC Result 2021 Out, CBT 1 Revised Result
- Har Ghar Tiranga
- PSSSB Clerk Recruitment 2022 Notification, Last Date to Apply Online for 735 Vacancies
- SSC CPO Exam Pattern 2022, Check Exam Pattern For SSC CPO Paper 1 and Paper 2
- SSC CPO 2022 Cut Off, Check Previous Year Cut Off
- SSC CPO Salary: Job Profile, Allowances, Career Growth And Salary After 7th Pay Commission
- How To Apply Online for SSC CPO 2022? Check Steps Here
- SSC CPO Vacancy 2022, Check Post-wise Vacancies Released By SSC
- Bharat Ratna Award: India’s Highest Civilian Award Recipients, Facts and Perks
- SSC JE Exam Pattern for Paper I and II
- SSC CGL Application Status Out for Dest 2020, Check Here
- SSC JE Cut Off: Check SSC JE Previous Years Paper Cut Off
- Happy Raksha Bandhan!!
- Indian Literature in English – History, Journal, Awards and Classical Literature
- SSC CGL Salary 2022, Check Post-Wise In hand Salary, Pay Scale and Allowances
- RRB Group D Cut off 2022, Check Previous Year Region Wise Cut Off
- SSC CPO Syllabus 2022 and Exam Pattern for Paper 1 & 2
- SSC CPO Admit Card 2022
- SSC JE Vacancy 2022, Department Wise Vacancy List
- SAIL Recruitment 2022 Notification Out for Medical Attendant Trainee and Other Posts
- Indian Air Force Apprentice Recruitment 2022 Notification Out for 152 Vacancies
- RRB Group D Admit Card 2022, Direct Link to Download Call Letter from 13th August
- MPPEB Group 3 Recruitment 2022 Notification, Apply Online for 2557 Sub Engineer Posts
- Heights and Distances Definition, Formula, Trigonometry, Examples
- UPPCL Executive Assistant Syllabus 2022 and Exam Pattern
- Important Days in August 2022, List of National and International Important Dates
- 10 Lakhs Jobs in 18 Months, “Announced Prime Minister Modi”
- Rajasthan High Court Recruitment 2022 Notification Out, Apply Online for 2756 Vacancies
- CET Haryana Exam Date 2022 Out, Check Updated Exam Schedule
- NSFDC Recruitment 2022 Notification, Apply Online, Eligibility, Age Limit
- RCFL Recruitment 2022 Notification, Apply Online for 396 Vacancies
- RRB Group D Exam Date 2022 Out, Exam City Link and Exam Schedule
- Haryana CET Admit Card 2022, Direct Link to Download Hall Ticket
- RRB NTPC Salary 2022, Salary Structure, Basic Pay Scale, Job Profile & Promotion
- SSC CHSL Salary: Check In Hand Salary After 7th Pay Commission & Career Growth
- UP NHM CHO(Community Health Officer) Recruitment 2022, Last Date to Apply for 5505 CHO Vacancies
- UPSSSC PET Admit Card 2022
- UPSSSC PET Exam Date 2022, Check Final Exam Schedule
- UPPCL Executive Assistant Recruitment 2022, Apply Online Form for 1033 Vacancies
- Commonwealth Games 2022 Medal Tally, Complete List of Medals India Won
- HP PWD Multi Tasking Worker Recruitment 2022
- UPPSC Medical Officer Recruitment 2022 Notification Out for 611 Vacancies
- OPSC ASO Syllabus 2022 Download PDF Group B Exam Pattern
- Rajasthan High Court Answer Key 2022 for Clerk, Junior Assistant & JJA
- RRB NTPC CBT 2 Admit Card 2022 Out, Download Region Wise Hall ticket
- Rajasthan High Court Admit Card 2022, Download Now for LDC Clerk JA JJA
- SSC CGL Exam Analysis 2022 for Tier 2 Exam, 8th August Shift 1
- RRC Group D Exam: Important Topics For a High Score
- Supreme Court (SCI) Junior Court Assistant 2022 Online Test Series
- RRB Group D Exam Pattern: Check RRC Level 1 Exam Details