An article is a word or a letter which is often used before a noun and tells about the certainty of that noun.
There are two types of articles:
- Indefinite Article (A/An)
- Definite Articles (The)
Articles can be used before noun, but not all nouns are used with articles. Therefore, it becomes necessary to understand the correct usage of articles.
Tips And Tricks
1. Indefinite Articles (A, AN)
Indefinite Articles are used to introduce new concepts (noun phrase) into a discourse. These articles are called indefinite because their usage implies that the thing, which is being referred to is nonspecific.
For Example – He caught a bird. (any bird).
Note: Indefinite articles are generally used before “Countable Singular Nouns”
Usage of ‘A’
1. If the first letter of a countable singular common noun is ‘Consonant’, ‘A’ is used before it.
For Example – (a) Rajeev has bought a new car
(b) I have caught a fish
2. ‘A’ is used with a singular countable common noun when the noun denotes a complete class of
For Example – A dog has four legs.
In the above sentence, ‘A’ has been used before ‘dog’ because we are talking about a complete class of dogs.
3. ‘A’ is used before a Profession, rank, title, religion, nationality, etc.
For Example – A teacher, A Japanese, A Hindu.
4. ‘A’ is used before singular countable nouns and after ‘what’ and ‘How’, in exclamatory sentences.
For Example – (a) What a beautiful painting!
(b) What a great match it was!
5. ‘A’ is used before an indefinite collective noun.
For Example – A team of cricket players, A bundle of money
6. ‘A’ is used to express the rate.
For Example– Ten rupees a kilo, Fifty words a minute.
Note: we can also use ‘per’ in the place of ‘a’ in the above expressions. Ten Rupees per kilo, Fifty words per minute
7. We use ‘A’ before an adjective, when the adjective is followed by a singular noun.
For Example – (a) Madhuri is a good dancer.
Usage of ‘AN’
1. If the first letter of a countable singular noun is a vowel, then ‘An’ is used before it.
For Example –
(a) He is an astronaut.
(b) He ate an apple.
2. We use ‘An’ before some abbreviations which start with ‘H, L, M, N, F, R, S, X, etc.
(a) He is an MLA.
(b) She works for an N.G.O.
Note: We can use ‘an’ in the place of ‘a’ whenever the indefinite article is followed by a noun, which starts with a ‘vowel sound’.
Note: Indefinite articles (‘A’/ ‘An’) Are used on the basis of the ‘initial sound’ of a noun and not on the first letter of the same, because usage of ‘A/An’ depends on the initial sound of the noun and not on its spelling.
For Example – We write ⇒ ‘An honest man’ (not ‘A honest man’)
⇒’An hour ago’, (not ‘a hour ago’)
Similarly, we write: A union. (not ‘an union’)
A European (not ‘an European’)
The Omissions of Indefinite Articles (An/An)
1. Indefinite Articles are not used with a ‘Plural Noun’
For Example – A cars are parked (wrong)
Cars are parked (correct)
2. Indefinite Articles are not used before the name of “meals”, “Sports’, Subjects’, ‘language’, etc.
For Example – (a) Harsh was absent from a dinner (wrong)
Harsh was absent from dinner (correct)
(b) I am playing a Tennis (wrong)
I am playing Tennis (Correct)
(c) She is teaching a Hindi right now. (wrong)
She is teaching Hindi right now. (correct)
2. Definite Articles (The)
Definite Article (the) is used when the noun with which it is used is a particular one, which is identifiable to the listener. It may also be used for a noun that has already been mentioned or is uniquely specified.
For Example – “This is the boy who played cricket.”
In the above sentence, the boy has been specified to be the one ‘Who played cricket’.
Note: Unlike indefinite articles, the definite article can be placed before both singular and plural nouns.
For Example – (a) She called the doctor.
(b) One of the boys is absent.
Uses of Definite Article (The)
1. Definite article (The) is used before a noun if it is followed by a relative pronoun stressly.
For Example – (a) He is the boy who plays Guitar.
(b) She is the girl who plays Tennis.
(c) This is the dog which I bought.
2. Definite article (The) is used before the name of commission, Rivers, Seas, Gulfs, Deserts, Direction, Canals, historical caste, Name of titles and posts, buildings and monuments,
Religious books, Community, Holy Scriptures, etc.
For Example– The Ganga, The Arabian Gulf, The Pacific Ocean, The Mahabharata, The Gita, The Taj Mahal, The Iron Man, The Father of the Nation.
3. ‘The’ is used before an adjective if that adjective is followed by proper noun.
For Ex – Yesterday, I met the great Sachin Tendulkar.
4. ‘The’ is used before common noun whenever it is used as adjective.
For Example – When Sonam saw a hungry girl crying, the mother came in her.
5. ‘The’ is used whenever two proper nouns are compared.
For Example – Prabhu Deva is the Michael Jackson of India.
6. ‘The’ is always used before “Superlative degree”
For Example – (a) Shyam is the fattest boy of his class.
(b) Rahul is the best player of his team.
Q. Which Book is best to learn articles?
Ans. Students can learn articels and all the other important topics of english from English Language eBook or English Language Book.
Q. What all exams does it cover?
Ans. Aspirants can prepare for all the SSC exams like CGL, CHSL, CPO and other govt. Exams.
Q. How to buy these book?
Ans. To buy these books or any other study material. Follow these simple steps
- Visit the adda247 store at store.adda247.com
- Choose the product you want to buy at the best price.
- Add the product to your cart by logging in.
- Proceed to checkout and make the payment.
The omissions of definite Article
1. Definite Article (The) is not used before the name of language and sports.
For Example – (a) The Hindi is our national language. (Wrong)
Hindi is our national language (correct)
(b) The Hockey is my favourite sport. (Wrong)
Hockey is my favourite sport. (Correct)
2. Definite Article is not used before the name of day, month, parts of day.
For Example – (a) The Monday is the first day. (Wrong)
Monday is the first day. (Correct)
(b) The December is the last month. (Wrong)
December is the last month.
3. ‘The’ is not used before the name of meals
For Example – The breakfast was very delicious. (Wrong)
Breakfast was very delicious. (Correct)
4. Definite article (The) is not used before these words.
“Life, money, Pride, God, Love, Society, Parliament, Death” and name of subjects.
For Example – (a) The love is as important as the air we breathe. (Wrong)
Love is as important as the air we breathe (Correct)
(b) The mathematics is an interesting subject (wrong)
Mathematics is an interesting subject. (Correct)
⇒ But, if the words given above are particularised or if the name of the subjects is particularised,
we use definite article before them.
For Example – (a) The love of mother is incomparable. (Correct)
(b) The Mathematics of Priya are good. (Correct)
5. Define article should not be used before these places if we go there for the primary purpose.
“Church, Mosque, Temple, School, College, Court, Prison, Hospital, Library, University, Jail (as accused).”
For Example– (a) I went to the temple to worship. (Wrong)
I went to temple to worship. (Correct)
- RRB NTPC Result 2021 : RRB NTPC Result to be out by 15th January 2022
- SSC CGL 2020-21 Tier-1 Marks Released : Check SSC CGL Marks
- Government exams Upcoming Govt. Jobs 2021: Apply Now For 5400+ Vacancies
- Calendar For Upcoming All Govt Exams 2021-22
- Bihar Police Constable Result 2020-21: Check Now
- SSC CGL Tier-II Quant & English Language Mock Tests
- How to crack RRB NTPC CBT-2 Exam in 2 Months?
- HSSC Patwari Exam Date 2021
- RRB NTPC Official New Update, RRB NTPC Result Date & CBT 2 Exam Schedule, 35208 Vacancies
- HPSSC Recruitment 2021: Apply online for 554 Vacancies
- How to Crack UPSSSC Lekhpal in 1st Attempt?
- Allahabad RO ARO Admit Card; Check Exam Dates
- SSC CGL Tier 2 Quant Study Plan : 200 Days Plan | Practice Now
- General Awareness Quizzes For Railway Exams: Attempt 2200+ Questions
- SSC Selection Post Study Plan: Attempt Subject-Wise Quizzes
- Reasoning Quizzes For Railway Exams 2021: Attempt 2200+ Questions
- Maths Quizzes For Railway Exams 2021: Attempt 2200+ Questions
- SSC CGL Tier 2 Study Plan For English Language Section: 150 Days Plan
- Important General Awareness Questions for SSC GD Exam
- RIICO Answer Key Out: Download Now
- FSSAI Assistant & Junior Assistant Test Series & E Study Notes
- 10 Tips to Crack SSC CGL Exam: SSC CGL Preparation Tips and Strategy
- RRB NTPC CBT-2 Exam Date 2021: RRB NTPC CBT-2 will be in February
- Reasoning for SSC GD 2021: 6th December
- RRC Group D Application Status: RRB Railway Group D Photo Correction Link Active on 15/12/2021
- CGPSC Jr Resident, Registrar & Sr Registrar Recruitment 2021
- SSC CGL Tier-II Cut Off Comparison With Last Year: Check Now
- FSSAI Study Plan 2021: DAY-35
- GA & GS Capsule For SSC & Railway Exams 2021
- RRB Group D Free Study Material download pdf in hindi
- Karnataka Land Surveyor Recruitment 2021: Apply Online for 3000 Vacancies
- West Bengal Police Constable Answer Key
- Border Roads Organization Recruitment 2021:Apply for 354 Vacancies
- UP SI & ASI Exam Analysis
- RRB NTPC CBT 2 Study Plan : Practice Daily
- SSC Selection Post Cut Off: Check Matriculation, Higher Secondary, and Graduation Posts Cut Off
- SSC Selection Posts VIII Admit Card 2021: Download DV Admit Card Now
- Reasoning for SSC GD 2021: 4th December
- SSC CGL Tier 1 Cut Off Analysis: Check Last 4 Years Cut Off Comparison
- AIC Recruitment 2021: Check Details for 31 Management Trainee and Hindi Officer
- Railway Commercial Apprentice Salary, Job Profile And Career Growth
- RSMSSB Motor Vehicle Sub Inspector Recruitment 2021
- RRB Ministerial & Isolated Categories Admit Card 2021 Released : Download RRB Performance Test and Teaching Skill Test Admit Card
- Register here for RIICO Junior Assitant Exam Analysis
- Northern Coalfields Limited (NCL) Recruitment 2021
- UP Police SI Answer Key will be out soon
- PPSC Cooperative Inspector Recruitment 2021 Details
- MP High Court Prelims & Mains Exam Pattern & Syllabus 2021
- Bihar SI Exam Date 2021 released | Bihar Police SI Exam Date
- HSSC Male Constable Result 2021: Check Now
- SSC GD Constable Examination 2018 : Check Ranks of the selected candidates