Time and Work
Time & Work- Importance
Time And Work Formulas & Tricks
When you know Time and Work formula, you can completely link that formula to the solution as soon as you read the question. Knowing Time & Work tricks will also help you solve the questions in a few seconds and thus saving your time for other sections. You can find Time & Work formulas along with important Time & Work Tricks below.
- When work is the same.
- If A can do a piece of work in n days.
- If the working efficiency of A & B is → x: y.
- If A can do a piece of work in x days and B can do a piece of work in y days, then both of them working together will do the same work in
- If A, B & C will work alone and can complete a work in x, y, and z days, respectively, then they will together complete the work in
- Two persons A & B, working together, can complete a piece of work in x days. If A, working alone, can complete the work in y days, then B, working alone, will complete the work in
- If A & B working together can finish a piece of work in x days, B & C in y days, C & A in z days. Then, A + B + C working together will finish the job is
- If A can finish a work in x days and B is k times more efficient than A, then the time taken by both A and B, working together to complete the work is
- If A & B working together can finish a work in x days & B is k times more efficient than A, then the time taken by,
- If A working Alone takes a day more than A & B, & B working Alone takes b-days more than A & B. Then,
a. 10 days
b. 15 days
c. 20 days
d. 25 days
Sol: Assume 1 man’s 1 day work = x & 1 boy’s 1 day work = y
From the given data, we can generate the equations as : 4x + 5y = 1/20 —(1) & 5x + 4y = 1/16 —(2)
By solving the simultaneous equations (1) & (2),
x = 1/ 80 & y = 0
Therefore, (4 men + 3 boys ) 1 day work = 4 x 1 + 3 x 0 = 1
Thus, 4 men and 3 boys can finish the work in 20 days.
Q. Sonal and Preeti started working on a project and they can complete the project in 30 days. Sonal worked for 16 days and Preeti completed the remaining work in 44 days. How many days would Preeti have taken to complete the entire project all by herself?
- 20 days
- 25 days
- 55 days
- 46 days
- 60 days
Correct answer: 60 days
Sol: Let the work done by Sonal in 1 day be x
Let the work done by Preeti in 1 day be y
Then, x+y = 1/30 ——— (1)
⇒ 16x + 44y = 1 ——— (2)
Solving equations (1) and (2),
x = 1/60
y = 1/60
Thus, Preeti can complete the entire work in 60 days
Q. P can complete a work in 12 days working 8 hours a day. Q can complete the same work in 8 days working 10 hours a day. If both p and Q work together, working 8 hours a day, in how many days can they complete the work?
Correct Answer: 60/11
Sol: P can complete the work in (12 x 8) hrs = 96 hrs
Q can complete the work in (8 x 10) hrs=80 hrs
Therefore, P’s 1 hour work=1/96 and Q’s 1-hour work= 1/80
(P+Q)’s 1 hour’s work =(1/96) + (1/80) = 11/480. So both P and Q will finish the work in 480/11 hrs
Therefore, Number of days of 8 hours each = (480/11) x (1/8) = 60/11
Q. (x-2) men can do a piece of work in x days and (x+7) men can do 75% of the same work in (x-10)days. Then in how many days can (x+10) men finish the work?
Correct Answer: 12 days
=> x= 20 and x=-14
so, the acceptable value is x=20
Therefore, Total work =(x-2)x = 18 x 20 =360 unit
Now 360 = 30 x k
=> k=12 days
Q. A is thrice efficient as B and C is twice as efficient as B. what is the ratio of several days taken by A, B, and C, when they work individually?
Correct Answer: 2:6:3
A: B: C
The ratio of efficiency is 3: 1: 2
The ratio of No.of days 1/3: 1/1: 1/2
or 2: 6 : 3
Hence A is correct.
Time and Work FAQs
Q. How is Time-related to Work?
Ans: Time is directly proportional to work, the proportionality constant is known as Efficiency.
Q. How can I score well in Time & Work topic?
Ans: Clear your basic concepts of Time and Work and practice as many questions as you can to score well on this topic.
Q. What is the weightage of Time and Work in different Government Exams?
Ans: Usually 5-10% of questions are asked about this topic in different competitive exams.
You May Also Read this: