World Environment Day 2020: World Environment Day is observed every year on June 5. It is one of the principal vehicles through which the United Nations (UN) spreads environmental awareness worldwide and enhances political attention. This day is celebrated to encourage worldwide awareness and action to protect the environment. United Nations decided to celebrate World Environment Day on 5th June in 1972 on the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. The host of this year’s World Environment day is Colombia in partnership with Germany. This year, millions of people will be celebrating digitally due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is The theme of World Environment Day 2020?
According to the UN, the theme for 2020 is biodiversity– a concern that is both urgent and existential. The theme focuses on ‘time for nature’ and providing the essential infrastructure that supports life on Earth and human development. Recent events like bushfires in Brazil, the United States, and Australia to locust infestations across East Africa and now, a global disease pandemic in the form of coronavirus demonstrate the interdependence of humans and the webs of life, in which they exist.
It is very important to spread awareness about environmental issues like deforestation, increasing global warming, wastage and losses of food, pollution etc. In the whole world, several campaigns are organized with a particular theme and slogan to bring effectiveness around the world. This day is celebrated to successfully reach carbon neutrality, reducing greenhouse effects, planting on degraded lands, energy production through solar sources, promoting coral reefs and mangroves and many more issues. This day encourages common people from different societies and communities to actively participate in the celebration as well as become an active agent in developing environmental safety measures.
- As per reports, more than 90% of the people worldwide do not get clean air.
- By 2030 air pollution is expected to reduce the staple crop yields by 26 percent.
- One-third of the daily use of plastic is not disposed off properly and clogs up drains and chokes the environment?
- Plastics can persist in the environment for more than a thousand years before it fully disintegrates.
- Plastics are non-renewable and its manufacture and destruction exposes individuals and environment to many toxins, including carcinogens.
- Plastics make up 10% of the total waste generated. Half of it is a disposable or single-use plastic.
- Up to 5 trillion plastic bags are used by the world every year.
- Last decade we produced more plastic than in the whole last century?