World Environment Day 2021: World Environment Day is observed every year on June 5. It is one of the principal vehicles through which the United Nations (UN) spreads environmental awareness worldwide and enhances political attention. This day is celebrated to encourage worldwide awareness and action to protect the environment. United Nations decided to celebrate World Environment Day on 5th June in 1972 on the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. The global host for the day to magnify the importance of ecosystem restoration this year in Pakistan. The United Nations has designated June 5 to be celebrated as World Environment Day to highlight the significance of its protection. This is the time when we should think about the fundamental relationship with the living world.
What is The theme of World Environment Day 2021?
The theme for World Environment Day 2021 is ‘Ecosystem Restoration’ and Pakistan will be the global host for the day. This World Environment Day will kick off the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030), a global mission to revive billions of hectares, from forests to farmlands, from the top of mountains to the depth of the sea. For too long, humans have been exploiting and destroying the planet’s ecosystems. Every three seconds, the world loses enough forest to cover a football pitch and over the last century, we have destroyed half of the wetlands.
It is very important to spread awareness about environmental issues like deforestation, increasing global warming, wastage and losses of food, pollution, etc. In the whole world, several campaigns are organized with a particular theme and slogan to bring effectiveness around the world. This day is celebrated to successfully reach carbon neutrality, reducing greenhouse effects, planting on degraded lands, energy production through solar sources, promoting coral reefs and mangroves, and many more issues. This day encourages common people from different societies and communities to actively participate in the celebration as well as become an active agent in developing environmental safety measures.
- As per reports, more than 90% of the people worldwide do not get clean air.
- By 2030 air pollution is expected to reduce the staple crop yields by 26 percent.
- One-third of the daily use of plastic is not disposed of properly and clogs up drains and chokes the environment?
- Plastics can persist in the environment for more than a thousand years before it fully disintegrates.
- Plastics are non-renewable and their manufacture and destruction expose individuals and the environment to many toxins, including carcinogens.
- Plastics make up 10% of the total waste generated. Half of it is disposable or single-use plastic.
- Up to 5 trillion plastic bags are used by the world every year.
- Last decade we produced more plastic than in the whole last century?