The President is the head of the Republic of India. President of India is also the first citizen of India. The Hon’ble President of India is the head of the state. President of India is also the Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is elected by members of the electoral college that consist of the elected members of both the Houses of Parliament, legislative assemblies of the states Union Territories. Mr. Ram Nath Kovind is the current and 14th President of India. The president of India lives in the Rashtrapati Bhavan which is the world’s largest Presidential Palace. The Salary and allowances of the President of India are fixed by the Parliament of India. Let’s look at the President’s salary in India in Detail.
President’s salary in India
Salary of President of India is Rs. 5 lakh/month (nontaxable). Apart from this the President of India also gets several allowances. Some of the allowances have been listed below.
- Accommodation: Rashtrapati Bhavan is the official residential place of the President of India. Rashtrapati Bhavan situated at raising hills at the heart of New Delhi. Rashtrapati Bhawan is the attraction to many visitors every year. Rashtrapati Bhavan has 340 rooms. The Rashtrapati Bhavan has a floor area of 2,00,000 square feet.
- Medical facilities: The president of India is one of the most important officials of India. President of India is entitled to free medical services for the whole life.
Security: Since the president of India is one of the most important officials of the nation the security is one of the main areas. President of India is entitled to a Black Mercedes Benz S600 (W221) Pullman Guard which is custom-built. President also has a heavily armoured stretch limousine for the official visits. The motorcade will also include the former presidential car, a black Mercedes-Benz W140 and an armoured limousine.
There are numerous perks that the President of India is entitled to after the retirement. Some of them have been listed below.
- The President of India will get Rs. 1.5 lakh/month as pension (at current rates).
- The spouses of Presidents will get secretarial assistance of Rs. 30,000 per month.
- One furnished rent-free bungalow (Type VIII).
- Two free landlines and a mobile phone.
- Five personal staff including a private secretary
- Staff expenses of Rs.60,000 a year.
- Free Travel with a companion by train or air.
Salary Drawn by Former Presidents of India
- In 1951, the salary of the President was Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 15000 in allowances.
- In 1985, the President of India used to get a salary of Rs. 15,000 and Rs. 30000 as allowances.
- In 1989 the salary of President of India was Rs. 20,000 and Rs. 10000 allowances.
- In 1998 the Salary of President of India was increased to Rs. 50,000.
- In 2008 the salary of President of India was Rs. 1,50,000.
- In 2016 the President’s salary was hiked to of Rs. 5,00,000.
Recently, President Ram Nath Kovind has decided to forgo 30% of his salary for the whole year in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who is the President of India?
Mr. Ram Nath Kovind is the current and 14th President of India.
Q. What is the salary of President of India?
Salary of President of India is Rs. 5 lakh/month (nontaxable).
Q. Where does the President of India stay?
Rashtrapati Bhavan is the official residential place of the President of India. Rashtrapati Bhavan situated at raising hills at the heart of New Delhi.
Q. Post-retirement what is the pension that the President of India gets?
The President of India will get Rs. 1.5 lakh/month as pension (at current rates).