National Sports Awards 2022: The National Sports Awards 2022 were announced by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. The President of India presented the awards to the recipients at a specially prepared event at Rashtrapati Bhavan on November 30, 2022.
National Sports Awards 2022: Key Points
- Sharath Kamal Achanta presented with the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award in 2022.
- Arjuna Awards for exceptional performance in Sports and Games 2022 was given to 25 athletes.
- At the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, Sharath Kamal had a standout performance, winning four medals, including three golds.
- Eldhose Paul, Avinash Sable, Lakshya Sen, and Nikhat Zareen, who won medals in the Commonwealth Games, were among the athletes on the ministry’s list of recipients of the Arjuna Award.
- For the first time, applications were only accepted online, and sportspeople, coaches, and entities were allowed to self-apply through a special site.
- Many nominations submitted for the prizes.
- The Selection Committee, which was composed of famous athletes, sports journalists, and administrators, and was chaired by Justice A. M. Khanwilkar, Ret. Judge, Supreme Court of India, reviewed all of the nominations.
Following careful consideration and in accordance with the Committee’s recommendations, the Government has chosen to honour the following athletes, coaches, and organisations:
Major Dhyaan Chand Khel Ratna Award:
|1.||Shri Sharath Kamal Achanta||Table Tennis|
Arjuna Awards For Sports and Games 2022:
|1.||Ms Seema Punia||Athletics|
|2.||Shri Eldhose Paul||Athletics|
|3.||Shri Avinash Mukund Sable||Athletics|
|4.||Shri Lakshya Sen||Badminton|
|5.||Shri Prannoy HS||Badminton|
|7.||Ms Nikhat Zareen||Boxing|
|8.||Ms Bhakti Pradip Kulkarni||Chess|
|9.||Shri R Praggnanandhaa||Chess|
|10.||Ms Deep Grace Ekka||Hockey|
|11.||Ms Shushila Devi||Judo|
|12.||Ms Sakshi Kumari||Kabaddi|
|13.||Ms Nayan Moni Saikia||Lawn Bowl|
|14.||Shri Sagar Kailas Ovhalkar||Mallakhamb|
|16.||Shri Omprakash Mitharval||Shooting|
|17.||Ms Sreeja Akula||Table Tennis|
|18.||Shri Vikas Thakur||Weightlifting|
|22.||Ms Manasi Girishchandra Joshi||Para Badminton|
|23.||Shri Tarun Dhillon||Para Badminton|
|24.||Shri Swapnil Sanjay Patil||Para Swimming|
|25.||Ms Jerlin Anika J||Deaf Badminton|
Dronacharya Award for Coaches in Sports and Games: Regular Category:
|1.||Shri Jiwanjot Singh Teja||Archery|
|2.||Shri Mohammad Ali Qamar||Boxing|
|3.||Ms Suma Siddharth Shirur||Para Shooting|
|4.||Shri Sujeet Maan||Wrestling|
Dronacharya Award for Coaches in Sports and Games: Lifetime Category
|1.||Shri Dinesh Jawahar Lad||Cricket|
|2.||Shri Bimal Prafulla Ghosh||Football|
|3.||Shri Raj Singh||Wrestling|
Dhyanchand Award For Lifetime Achivement:
|1.||Ms Ashwini Akkunji C.||Athletics|
|2.||Shri Dharamvir Singh||Hockey|
|3.||Shri B.C Suresh||Kabaddi|
|4.||Shri Nir Bahadur Gurung||Para Athletics|
National Sports Awards 2022: About and All you need to Know
Every year, National Sports Awards are presented to honour and reward excellence in sports. The 6 Sports Awards of the Republic of India are referred to as National Sports Awards collectively. The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports bestows it annually. At the same occasion at the Presidential Palace, the Indian President gives out the awards.
The 6 awards are as follows:
- The “Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award” is granted to the athlete who has displayed the most spectacular and excellent athletic achievement over the course of the past four years.
- The “Arjuna Award for outstanding performance in Sports and Games” is granted in recognition of exemplary performance over the course of the previous four years as well as leadership, sportsmanship, and discipline-related attributes.
- The “Dronacharya Award for exceptional coaches in Sports and Games” is granted to coaches who consistently perform excellent and meritorious work and help athletes succeed in international competitions.
- The “Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime accomplishment in Sports and Games” honours athletes who have improved sports through their competition and who continue to advance sporting events even after they retire.
- The “Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar” is awarded to business organisations (both in the public and private sectors), sports control boards, NGOs, and national and state sports organisations that have made a significant contribution to the growth and promotion of sports.
- The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy is awarded to the university that performs best overall in inter-university competitions.
For the first time this year, applications were only accepted online, and athletes, coaches, and organisations were able to submit their own applications through a special website. This year, there were many nominations submitted for these prizes. The Selection Committee, which was composed of famous athletes, sports journalists, and administrators, and was chaired by Justice A. M. Khanwilkar, Ret. Judge, Supreme Court of India, reviewed all of the nominations.