If you are preparing for any competitive exam it is very important to learn English Language and this language is used as an official language in most of countries around the globe and has become a prominent language for communication. English, just like any other language has its own semantics and symbols. The symbols are the mere alphabets and it’s the semantics part that you need to master.
Grammar and Vocabulary are the keys to master any language and the same is the case with English. Unlike mathematics, you need not learn and by heart one formula after another, you don’t have to perform any calculation here, you just need to understand the grammar rules and build your English Vocabulary.
All prominent Staff Selection Commission exams like CGL, CHSL, CPO, MTS, SSC Selection Post contain English Language Section as a part and parcel element. English Language is a lavish dish with ingredients like Grammar and Vocabulary. And to enrich the deliciousness of this dish, remembering Grammar rules comes handy which are thoroughly revised.
- Active and Passive Voice
- English grammar
- Letter Writing
- Sentence Completion
- Subject and Object
- Word Families
- Error Detection
- Reading Comprehension: This topic tests a student’s ability to comprehend a given passage and answer the questions associated with it as per his understanding.
- Cloze Test : This tests a student’s knowledge of vocabulary along with his reading skills. Here a passage is given with 5 to 6 blanks in between the lines, and a student must find a suitable word or phrase for those blanks.
- Fill in the Blanks: There are different types of fill in the blanks that you must practice for exam.
- Word Usage: Here students must identify an appropriate or inappropriate word.
- Error Detection: This is a test of the knowledge and understanding of grammar rules. Spelling errors can also be asked to check vocabulary.
- Sentence Rearrangement: These types of questions tests both a student’s reading skills as well as the knowledge of English Grammar.
Idioms and Phrases:Questions related to idioms and phrases can be encountered in the form of fill in the blanks or identifying the meaning or phrase replacement.
- Sentence Improvement: This is a test of English Grammar, where a student is expected to identify an improved version of a given sentence.
Important Topics to Cover in English
Preparation Tips For English
Improve your Vocabulary
THESAURUS: This is an easy way to study and learn new words. There are a lot of online thesauruses available where a word and its opposite words can be found in one place.
Keep a pocket notebook with you where you can jot down a few words every day and through the list frequently.
Improve your English Grammar:
Proper understanding of grammar usage is needed for attempting questions from the section – ‘English Language and Comprehension’. These types of questions are quite common in all competitive exams and mostly come in the form of questions like ‘spotting the errors’. Finding an error in a sentence is a step-by-step process. Students must follow grammar rules while solving such types of questions.
Practice Previous Year Question Papers:
Practice from previous years paper as much as you can. Don’t forget to follow the current structure of the exam.
Build a Proper Structure:
Follow a proper strategy and a time table for all the sections of question paper.