SSC Stenographer is organized by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) to recruit eligible candidates for the post of Grade C and D stenographer in central government organizations. It is one of the most sought after govt. job and lakhs of students apply for it every year. SSC Stenographer 2020 recruitment exam for Grade C & D was scheduled to be conducted from 05-05-2020 to 07-05-2020. However SSC Stenographer Grade C&D Exam has been Postponed due to COVID-19 Lockdown. As per the revised calendar released by SSC, the new exam date for SSC Stenographer is 22.12.2020 to 24.12.2020. The notification and application form for the SSC Stenographer exam is released on October 10. The last date for submitting the application form is November 4. Read about all the information related to the SSC Stenographer exam like exam date, admit card date, selection process, syllabus, and salary structure.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Important Dates
- SSC Stenographer 2020-21 Dates
|SSC Stenographer Recruitment EVENTS||DATE|
|SSC Stenographer Online Application Start Date||10th October 2020|
|SSC Stenographer Online Application Last Date||14th November 2020|
|SSC Stenographer Online Application Fee Payment Last Date||14th November 2020|
|SSC Stenographer Exam Date||29th to 31st March 2021|
- SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Exam Date
|SSC Stenographer Exam Events||Dates|
|SSC Stenographer Notification to release date||September 20, 2019|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Registration begins from||September 20, 2019|
|Last Date to submit the SSC Stenographer Application Form 2019||October 18, 2019|
|SSC Stenographer 2019-20 Exam Date (Revised)||
22nd to 24th Dec 2020
|SSC Stenographer Result 2019-20 Declaration Date||To be announced|
- SSC Stenographer Salary: Job Profile & Career Growth
- SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Tier – 1 and 2
- SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2019: Check Detailed Syllabus
- Check Latest Calendar released by SSC
SSC Stenographer Vacancy
Vacancies of Stenographer Grade “C‟ and Stenographers Grade “D‟ are in Ministries/Departments of Central Government, including their Attached/Subordinate offices located in States and Union Territories all over the country. SSC Stenographer vacancies for previous year exams have been listed below.
|Stenographer Grade ‘D’||1129||1434||1276|
|Stenographer Grade ‘C’||214||39||429|
SSC Stenographer Eligibility Criteria
Age Limit for SSC Stenographer 2020 Grade C & D :
Stenographer Grade ‘C’
- Minimum Age: 18 years
- Maximum Age: 30 years
Stenographer Grade ‘D’
- Minimum Age: 18 years
- Maximum Age: 27 years
Age Relaxation for SSC Stenographer 2020
|3||PH + Gen||
|4||PH + OBC||13 years|
|5||PH + SC/ST||15 years|
|6||Ex-Servicemen (Gen)||3 years|
|7||Ex-Servicemen (OBC)||6 years|
|8||Ex-Servicemen (SC/ST)||8 years|
SSC Stenographer Educational Qualification
Candidate must have passed 12th Standard or equivalent from a recognized Board or University.
Note: Only those candidates who have the required skills in stenography are eligible to apply.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Exam Pattern
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice|
|Tier – II||Skill Test|
SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ Tier-1 Pattern
This is an objective exam which will be conducted online. There are 3 sections in the Tier 1 exam of SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’. The subject-wise details are given below:
|Part||Subject||No of Questions||Marks||Exam Duration|
|I.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||2 hours|
|III.||English Language & Comprehension||100||100|
- There is negative marking in SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ Tier 1 Exam.
- Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.25 marks in all sections
- The exam duration is 2 hours 40 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
- The questions except in Part III will be set both in English & Hindi.
- Normalization: Marks scored by candidates in the Computer Based Examinations, if conducted in multiple shifts, will be normalized and such normalized scores will be used to determine final merit.
Skill Test in Stenography for Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’
Candidates who obtain the qualifying marks in the Written Examination as may be prescribed by the Commission will only be called for the Skill Test. It may also prescribe qualifying marks in each part of the Written Examination.
The skill test will be of qualifying nature. The candidates will have to appear for the stenography test. The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English / Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’. The matter will have to be transcribed on the computer only. The evaluation of transcription will be done electronically only. The transcription time is as follows:-
|S. No.||Post Name||Language Of Skill Test||Duration|
|1||Stenographer Grade ‘D’||English||50 min|
|3||Stenographer Grade ‘C’||English||40 min|
Note: Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment, failing which their probation may not be cleared by appointing departments.
Candidates have to work as English/Hindi stenographers as per the functional requirement of the User Office irrespective of the medium of the Skill Test of the candidate during the examination.
Document Verification of Stenographer 2020
Candidates will be required to produce all documents in original for verification at the time of document verification. And Detailed options for various posts and Departments will be taken from candidates either online or at the time of document verification.
Final Selection for SSC Stenographer Grade C & D -> Final selection and allocation of Ministries/ Departments will be made on the basis of the performance of candidates in the Computer Based Examination and the preference of Posts/ Departments exercised by them at the time of Document Verification (DV).
- If the candidates do not indicate the medium of stenography test in the Application Form, the Commission will consider English as the medium of stenography test for such candidates.
- There is no exemption from the skill test for any category of candidates.
- Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment.
- VH candidates will be required to transcribe the matter in 75 minutes for English Shorthand or in 100 minutes for Hindi Shorthand for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ and in 70 minutes for English Shorthand test and in 95 minutes for Hindi Shorthand Test for the post of Stenographer Grade‘C’.
- The skill test will be held at the Commission’s Regional/Sub Regional Offices or at other Centres as may be decided by the Commission.
- Detailed instructions regarding Skill Test will be sent by the concerned Regional/Sub Regional Offices of the Commission to the candidates called for the Skill Test.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus
Since the SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ is comprised of 2 different levels, we must deal with SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2020 independently.
SSC Stenographer 2020 Syllabus for written examination
General Intelligence & Reasoning: The General Intelligence and reasoning section is the calculative one out of the three sections. It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test will include questions on the following topics:
- Similarities and differences,
- Space visualization,
- Analysis, judgement, decision making,
- Visual memory, discriminating observation, relationship concepts,
- Arithmetical reasoning, & arithmetical number series,
- Verbal and figure classification, non-verbal series etc.
General Awareness: Questions will be designed to test the ability of the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene, General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research etc. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline. For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability /cerebral palsy affected candidates and opting for scribe there will be no component of Maps/Graphs/Diagrams/Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning / General Awareness Paper.
Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ Cut Offs
Candidates shortlisted for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ 2017: 8469
Candidates shortlisted for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ 2017: 15004
Stenographer Grade ’D’ 2017 Result
Stenographer Grade ‘C’ 2016 Cut Off (Written Exam)