A word Abbreviation is derived from the Latin word ‘Brevis’ which means ‘short’. Abbreviation meaning can be understood easily with the name. It means to represent any word or phrase in short form. As we use many abbreviations in English to represent a word or phrase. For example, we generally write Jan for January, Sept for September, Dec for December, and so on.
In American English, many abbreviations are used for a long time (such as “Dr.” or “Ms.”). In contrast, British English usage generally omits the period (or full stop) in abbreviations that include the first and last letters of a single word (such as “Dr” or “Ms”). When an abbreviation appears at the end of a sentence, a single period serves both to mark the abbreviation and close the sentence. The abbreviations in the English language are used mostly for communication or professional purposes also. Abbreviations in the English language with their examples are discussed here in detail. So refer to the article to understand abbreviations in Detail.
Types of Abbreviations
There are many types of abbreviations in English classified as per the usage and purposes. It is used to represent a long word or phrase in limited words. Abbreviations are the standard form that is accepted globally. The common types of abbreviations are discussed here.
- Acronyms – An acronym is an abbreviation pronounced as a single word for any specific known thing.
- NATO, NASA, GIF, UNICEF, UNESCO, LAN, DOS, EBITDA, ANOVA, LASER
- Initialism – In an initialism, each letter is separately pronounced.
- USA, UK, EU, UN, PDF, PC, ATM, SSN, MBA, BE, RC
- Contractions – In contractions, some letters are discarded to make the word shorter. A shortened form may even contain only the first letters or syllables of a word.
- Dr., Mr., Mrs., Jr., Ltd., Asst.
- Rev., Sen., Inc., Prof.
There are many examples of abbreviations used commonly. Abbreviations are formed to write the long word or phrase in limited words. Abbreviation examples are discussed here to develop your understanding of the topic. Some abbreviations examples are discussed here in their full form.
- ASAP – As soon as possible
- DOB – Date of Birth
- NA – Not Available or Not Applicable
- Govt. – Government
- DP – Display Picture
- Er – Engineer
- approx. – Approximately
- temp. – Temperature
- min – minute
- hr – Hour
- std. – Established
- vs – Versus
- misc – Miscellaneous
- no. – Number
- Sr. – Serial