Important lakes of India: Largest Lakes of India
Top 10 largest Lakes in India
The list of the largest lakes in India according to the area covered by them Largest lake is Vembanad Lake in Kerala, the complete list is mentioned in the table below:
|List of largest Lakes in India (Area covered in Decreasing order)||State|
|Shivaji Sagar Lake||Maharashtra|
|Indira Sagar lake||Madhya Pradesh|
|Pulicat Lake||Andhra Pradesh|
|Sardar Sarovar Lake||Gujarat, Rajasthan|
|Nagarjuna Sagar Lake||Telangana|
|Wular lake||Jammu and Kashmir|
Important lakes of India: Complete List
- The largest lake in India.
- Located between Krishna and Godavari delta.
- It was declared a wetland of international importance in 2002 under Ramsar convention.
- India’s largest inland salt lake.
- Mahabharata mentions the Sambhar Lake as part of the kingdom of the demon king Brishparva.
- Located in the town of Pushkar in Ajmer district of the Rajasthan.
- Pushkar Lake is a sacred lake of the Hindus.
- Thousands of pilgrims come to bath in the waters of the lake during the festival of Kartika Poornima in November.
- The Lonar lake was formed 50,000 years ago after a meteorite hit the Earth.
- Recently, the colour of the Lonar lake turned pink overnight and hence, this news has been in the news.
- Some experts suggest that the pink colour might be due to the presence of algae and low level of water.
- Second largest brackish – water lake or lagoon in India.
- The large spindle-shaped barrier island named Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal.
- The island is home to the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, the launch site of India’s successful first lunar space mission, the Chandrayaan-1.
- The largest freshwater lake in North -East India
- KeibulLamjao the only floating national park in the world floats over it, which is the last natural refuge of the endangered sangai or Manipur brow-antlered deer.
- It is designated a wetland of international importance under Ramsar Convention in 1990.
- Largest freshwater lake in Kerala.
- The purity of the lake water for drinking use is attributed to the presence of a large population of larva called cavaborus that consumes bacteria in the lake water.
- Longest lake in India, and the largest lake in the state of Kerala.
- The Nehru Trophy Boat Race is conducted in a portion of the lake.
- It is the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest lagoon in the world.
- Chilika Lake is the largest wintering ground for migratory birds, on the Indian sub-continent.
- It is a brackish water coastal lake.
- Dal Lake is a lake in Srinagar and is integral to tourism known as the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”.
- Asia’s largest Tulip garden is on the banks of Dal Lake.
- Mughal gardens, Shalimar Bagh and the NishatBagh are on the banks of Dal Lake.
- Tsongmo Lake or Changu Lake, is a glacial lake in the East Sikkim.
- The lake is the venue for the Guru Purnima festival in which Jhakris of Sikkim assemble at the lake area to derive benefits from the healing qualities of the lake waters.
- It is the largest lake in Kumaon region, known as the “lake district of India”.
- It is a “C” shaped lake.
- Barapani or Umiam Lake is in Shillong.
- The origin of Lake in 1965 is due to the UmiamUmtru Hydro Electric Power Project, the first Hydel power project in the North-east region of India.
- Kidney shaped or crescent-shaped.
- Situated in the Nainital district called the Lake District of India.
- Periyar Lake is formed by the construction of the dam across the Mullaperiyar River in 1895.
- The notable elephant reserve and a tiger reserve, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is located on the banks of Periyar lake.
- The lake is in Hyderabad, built by Hazrat Hussain Shah Wali in 1562, during the rule of Ibrahim QuliQutub Shah.
- Connects the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
- A major attraction at the Hussain Sagar is the 16 meters high, 350 tonnes monolithic Buddha statue on the ‘Rock of Gibraltar’ installed at the centre of the lake.
- It has been renamed after the great ornithologist, naturalist Salim Ali and also known as birdman of India.
- Salim Ali Sarovar (lake) popularly known as Salim Ali Talab is located near Delhi Gate, opposite HimayatBagh, Aurangabad.
- ‘Nakki Lake is situated in the Indian hill station of Mount Abu in Aravalli range.
- Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were immersed in this Holy Lake on 12 February 1948 and Gandhi Ghat was constructed.
- Also known as Upper Lake lies on the western side of the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal.
- Largest artificial lake in Asia.
- Largest Freshwater Lake in India.
- Lake Basin was formed as a result of tectonic activity and is fed by the Jhelum River.
- It is a lagoon in the Kollam district of Kerala.
- It has been registered as a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention.
24. Pulicat Lake
- It is the second-largest brackish water lake on the Coromandel Coast.
- It lies on the border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- The barrier island of Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which is the largest freshwater lake in India?
Wular Lake in Jammu Kashmir is the largest freshwater lake in India
Q. Where is Salim Ali lake located?
Salim Ali Sarovar (lake) popularly known as Salim Ali Talab is located near Delhi Gate, opposite Himayat Bagh, Aurangabad.
Q. Which is the largest artificial lake in Asia?
Bhojtar Lake is the largest artificial lake in Asia
Q. Which is the longest lake in India?
Vembanad Lake in Kerala is the longest lake in India