Staff Selection Commission (SSC) has released the notification for recruitment to the post of Junior Engineer (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Quantity Surveying & Contracts). SSC JE Exam 2020 is conducting from 27th to 30th October 2020 and on 11th December (for Bihar region). Candidates from engineering background will be appearing for the SSC JE exam to be recruited as a Junior engineer in the prestigious departments of SSC. The detailed exam analysis of any exam helps the aspirants get an idea on the type of questions being asked in the exam. It helps to get an overview of the exam. This post will help you with the detailed exam analysis of previous years paper , the review of candidates and the questions being asked in the exam.
SSC JE Paper I Exam Pattern
|Papers||No. Of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration & Timings|
|(i) General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||50||2 Hrs.|
|(ii) General Awareness||50||50|
|Part –A General Engineering (Civil & Structural) OR||100||100|
|Part-B General Engineering (Electrical) OR|
|Part-C General Engineering (Mechanical)|
SSC JE Tier1 Exam Analysis
SSC JE Exam Analysis: General Intelligence & Reasoning
The reasoning section includes questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. Candidates will be required to answer questions from various topics such as analogy, similarities, differences, space visualization, problem-solving, analysis, judgement, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning etc. The overall level of the Reasoning section was easy to moderate. Candidates can easily attempt more than 40 in this section.
|S. No.||Topics||No. Of Questions
|1||Number & Alphabetical Series||5-6|
|4||Odd one Out||2-3|
|6||Statement & Conclusions||2-3|
|9||Non-verbal: Complete the Image, Embedded Image, Paper Folding & Cutting, Mirror Image||5-6|
|Total No. Of Questions||50|
SSC JE Exam Analysis: General Awareness
The general awareness section was seen to be of moderate level. Questions were asked from various topic including history, polity, current affairs, science etc. Below are the points to be noted related to the general awareness section:
- 5-6 questions were asked from history
- 8-10 questions were asked from topics such as schedule, ordinances, article, directive principles of state policy etc
- 6-7 current affairs were asked
- Majority of questions were asked from the science section
- 1 question was asked from the SI Unit
- 1 ques from the study of fossils
- 1 question from oxidation & reduction reactions
SSC JE Exam Analysis: Technical Part (Civil)
The technical paper (Civil Engineering) was of moderate level. Questions were asked from topics such as Building Materials, Estimating, Costing and Valuation, Surveying, Soil Mechanics, Hydraulics, Irrigation Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering. Structural Engineering: Theory of Structures, Concrete Technology, RCC Design, Steel Design. Points to be noted:
- The technical part consisted of theory mostly but questions were easily doable
- 2-3 questions were asked from highway engineering
- questions were asked from Reynolds number, dynamic viscosity etc
- Tension member to slender ratio
- Reversal of stress to wind slenderness ratio?
- One question from torsion
- Plinth area
- Carpet area
- Plastic limit
- Graphite is which type of rock?
- One ques from SE=WG
- What is meant by free holder? (Estimate & Costing)
- Effective length related to steel and RCC where one end if free and other end is fixed
- One ques from Euler’s Formula
- One ques from contingencies
- Fixed end moment for UDL
- Cement used in deep well foundation
- Compressive strength
- Measurement of angles and length using staff
- One ques from toughness index
- Part of carriageway where the vehicle can stop
- Ore of iron
- One ques from Pig iron
- Floor area ratio was asked
- One ques from plain sedimentation
Frequently Asked Questions-FAQs
Ques: Are there any books to prepare for electrical engineering for Paper 1 & 2?
Ans: Candidates can refer to these to prepare for Electrical Engineering:
- SSC Jr. Engineer (Electrical) Exam Guide – RPH Editorial Board
- SSC JE: Electrical Engineering – Topic wise Previous Solved Papers – Made Easy Editorial Board
- SSC Junior Engineer Electrical Engineer Exam Guide –Cum-Practice Work Book—English – Think Tank of Kiran Prakashan, Pratiyogita Kiran & KICX
Aspirants can also check Adda247’s youtube channel and online test series.
Ques: What are the major topics of Paper 1 for SSC JE 2020?
Ans: SSC JE Syllabus includes topics from General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness and Technical topics of candidates’ respective specialization in Paper 1. While in Paper 2, candidates have to solve the problems based on the topics from Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical engineering as chosen by the candidates.
Ques: Is there any negative marking SSC JE 2020 and what is the total time duration to complete the exam?
Ans: Yes, there is negative marking in Paper 1 i.e. 0.25 for every wrong answer will be deducted. Paper 1 will be of 200 marks and the total time duration to complete this paper is 2 hours. In the case of Paper 2, there is no negative marking because this paper is the descriptive type with a total of 300 marks and the time duration provided to complete this paper is 2 hours.