March 26th is the 85th day of a calendar year, in addition to being the 86th day in a leap year. Throughout the years, it has witnessed many events, some of which are:
In the 1700s:
- In 1980, the Sunday Monitor and the British Gazette was published for the first time ever, becoming the first Sunday newspaper in Britain.
- In 1793, the Holy Roman Emperor formally declared war on France.
- In 1799, Napoleon went on to capture Jaffa Palestine.
In the 1800s:
- In 1804, the United States Congress passed an order to remove the Indians located east of the Mississippi to Louisiana. In the same year, the Louisiana Purchase was divided into the Territory of Orleans and the District of Louisiana.
- In 1871, the Paris Commune was set up formally.
- In 1878, the Hastings College of Law was founded.
- In 1885, the first commercial motion picture film was produced by Eastman Kodak in Rochester.
- In 1898, the Sabi Game Reserve, which was the first game reserve in the world, was designated in South Africa.
In the 1900s:
- In 1909, Persia was invaded by Russian troops as support to Muhammad Ali as shah in place of the constitutional government.
- In 1913. The Bulgarians overtook Adrianople during the Balkan War.
- In 1937, a statue of Popeye was erected by spinach farmers in Crystal City, Texas.
- In 1942, the Germans began to send Jews to Auschwitz in Poland.
- In 1951, the flag of the United States Air Force was approved. It included the coat of arms, 13 white stars as well as the seal of the Air Force on a blue background.
- In 1953, a new vaccine which could prevent poliomyelitis was announced by Dr. Jonas Salk.
- In 1958, the third successful satellite of America, known as Explorer III, was launched by the United States Army.
- In 1971, East Pakistan was declared to be the independent republic of Bangladesh by Sheikh Mujibur Rehman.
- In 1973, women were, for the very first time, allowed on the floor of the London Stock Exchange.
- In 1983, a nuclear test was performed at the Nevada Test Site by the United States.
- In 1989, the first free elections took place in the Soviet Union, electing Boris Yeltsin as the leader.
- In 1998, the Federal Government in the United States endorsed a new HIV test which would yield instant results.
- In 1999, Melissa, the macro virus, was reported for the first time.
The 2000s onwards:
- In the year 2000, acting President Vladimir Putin was elected as the President of Russia.
- In 2007, the United States Postal Service unveiled the design for the “Forever Stamp.”
- In the year 2012, Macky Sall was elected as the President of Senegal on this day. On the same day, James Cameron, the Canadian filmmaker, became the first person to visit the deepest point on Earth, the Challenger Deep, in more than 50 years.
- On this day in 2014, Taavi Roivas became the Prime Minister of Estonia.
- In 2015, England’s Rochard III was reburied at Leicester Cathedral after his remains were discovered under a carpark in Leicester in 2012.
- In the year 2016, Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders won the majority in Washington, Alaska and Hawaii in the United States primary elections.
- In 2017, Carrie Lam became the first woman to get elected by the Beijing-influenced electoral commission to lead Hong Kong.
- In 2018, the Federal Trade Commission of the United States confirmed that it would be investigating Facebook over privacy concerns. In the same year, Marvel’s Black Panther became the highest-grossing superhero movie in America after earning $630.9 million. Additionally, it was in this year when a U.S. soldier received the first penis and scrotum transplant in the world, at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.
- In 2019, it was on this day when the stolen painting “Buste de Femme” by Pablo Picasso was recovered after 20 years by a Dutch art detective. On the same day, Michelle Obama’s biography “Becoming” sold over 10 million copies.
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 24th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 22nd March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 21st March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 18th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 17th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 16th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 15th March