March 25th is the 84th day of a calendar year, in addition to being the 85th day in a leap year. Throughout the years, it has witnessed many events, some of which are:
In the 1600s:
- In 1609, on this day, Henry Hudson left on an exploration for the Dutch East India Co.
- In 1634, the Catholic colony of Maryland was founded by Lord Baltimore.
- In the year 1655, Saturn’s largest satellite Titan was discovered by Christian Huygens.
- In 1669, Sicily’s Mount Etna erupted, thereby killing 20,000 people.
In the 1700s:
- In the year 1753, Voltaire left the court of Prussia’s Frederik II.
- In 1774, the Boston Port Bill was passed by the English Parliament.
- In 1776, a medal for General George Washington was authorised by the Continental Congress.
In the 1800s:
- In 1802, the Peace of Amiens was signed by France, Spain, England and Netherlands.
- In 1807, England saw the beginning of its first railway passenger service. In the same year, the British Parliament abolished the slave trade.
- In 1814, the Netherlands Bank was established.
- In 1821, Greece attained independence from Turkey.
- In 1857, the first photo of a solar eclipse was taken by Frederick Langenheim.
In the 1900s:
- On this day in 1900, the United States Socialist Party was formed in Indianapolis.
- In 1904, the Congo Reform Association was formed by E.D. Morel and Roger Casement in Liverpool.
- In 1905, Japan’s terms for peace was received by Russia.
- In 1913, the Palace Theatre officially opened in New York.
- In 1923, the Trans-Jordan autonomy was granted by the British government.
- In 1941, Yugoslavia joined the Axis powers. In the same year, the first paprika mill was incorporated in Dillon.
- In 1960, a guided missile was launched from a nuclear-powered submarine for the first time ever.
- In 1970, the Concorde made its first supersonic flight.
- In 1983, the United States Congress passed legislation to rescue the country’s social security system from bankruptcy.
- In 1990, Estonia voted for independence from the Soviet Union.
- In 1994, the United States troops finished their withdrawal from Somalia.
- In 1995, Mike Tyson, the famous boxer, was released from jail after serving a sentence of three years.
- In 1996, the newly redesigned $100 bill was issued for circulation by the United States.
The 2000s onwards:
In 2004, the United States Senate voted a 61-38 on the Unborn Victims of Violence Act. According to this act, it was considered a separate crime to harm a foetus during the commission of a violent federal crime.
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 24th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 22nd March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 21st March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 18th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 17th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 16th March
- Check What Happened On This Day In History: 15th March