The Examination for the recruitment under the West Bengal Civil Services (WBCS) for the Group – A, B, C and D posts is conducted every year. The following article gives first-hand comprehensive information regarding all aspects of the examination.
"Did you Know? In this pack you will get All new content we launch in the next 1 months"
This is the most recommended and NRA-CET ready Pack!
Use Code 'DREAM' to avail at best price today
2000 Students are visiting this Product daily! Hurry now! Seats are Filling fast
About SSC Maha Pack
If you are preparing for more than 1 SSC exams then this is the pack we recommend you buy.
It is most cost-effective and you get access to 100% digital content for all SSC exams on Adda247.SSC Exams Covered in this Pack
SSC Maha Pack Highlights
- Structured course content
- Recorded classes available if you miss any live class
- Previous Years’ Papers of all upcoming exams.
- Full Length Mocks based on the latest pattern with detailed solutions (video solutions for certain topics)
- Topic level knowledge tests
- Strategy sessions, time management & Preparation tips from the experts
- Language: English & Hindi Medium
Validity: 1 Month
Note: This package is not a part of Double Validity Offer
- Unlimited Live Classes & Recorded Video Courses
- Unlimited Tests and eBooks
- 1 Lakh+ Selections
- 24 Months
- 12 Months
- 3 Months
- 1 Month
Latest Update:- West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) has released the WBCS Prelims 2020 Result on its official website i.e.wbpsc.gov.in. WBPSC WBCS (EXE.) The exam was conducted on 9 February 2020 at various exam centers of West Bengal. The Commission has also declared the cut-off marks of the WBPSC Candidates who have appeared in the WBCS Prelims 2020 [advertisement no. 22/2019] can check the list of selected candidates on the official website of WBPSC or through the direct link available below.
Details of Posts:
Based on the choice and merit of the scored number, four groups have been created in the recruitment of the WBCS. These groups are namely Group A, Group B (only for West Bengal Police Service), Group C and Group D.
The officers with the following designations in different departments of West Bengal are recruited through the WBCS examination:
|Sr. No.||Post Name||Pay Band||Pay Scale|
|1.||West Bengal Civil Service (Executive)||4A||Rs.15,600/- to 42,000/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|2.||Assistant Commissioner of Revenue in the integrated West Bengal Revenue Service|
|3.||West Bengal Co-operative Service|
|4.||West Bengal Labour Service|
|5.||West Bengal Food and Supplies Service|
|6.||West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer (Technical)]|
|Sr. No||Post||Pay Band||Pay Scale|
|1.||West Bengal Police Service||4A||Rs.15,600/- to 42,000/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|WBCS Group C|
|Sr. No||Post||Pay Band||Pay Scale|
|1.||Superintendent, District Correctional Home / Deputy Superintendent, Central Correctional Home||4||Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,800/-|
|2.||Joint Block Development Officer||Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|3.||Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices|
|4.||West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service|
|5.||West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service|
|6.||Assistant Commercial Tax Officer|
|7.||Joint Registrar (West Bengal State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission under the Consumer Affairs Department, Government of West Bengal)|
|8.||Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation)||Rs.9,000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,400/-|
|9.||Chief Controller of Correctional Services|
|WBCS Group D|
|Sr. No||Post||Pay Band||Pay Scale|
|1.||Inspector of Co-operative Societies||3||Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-|
|2.||Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development Department|
|3.||Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department|
The online Registration Fee for the WBCS exam is Rs.210 + applicable service charges.
To appear for the West Bengal Civil Service examination a candidate must fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- A candidate must possess a graduation degree from an institute or university recognized by the UGC.
- Students appearing in the final year of graduation are also eligible to apply.
- The candidate should be able to read, write and speak in Bengali. (This condition does not apply on candidate with Nepali as their mother tongue.)
- The candidate must fulfill the required physical criteria in terms of endurance, height, weight and chest measurements, for the vacancies of Group B posts.
- Group A and C: 21 years – 36 years (As on January 1 of the year of the examination)
- For the vacancies of West Bengal Police Service only (i.e. Group “B” Service), the age of an applicant must be between 20 years and 36 years on the 1st January of the year of examination.
- Group D: 21 years – 39 years (As on January 1 of the year of the examination)
Relaxation in the Upper Age Limits
- There is a 5-year relaxation in the upper age limit for the SC/ST category applicants of West Bengal, and 3 years for OBC candidates.
- PWD category candidates appear in WBCS exams up to 45 years of age.
- Please note that the SC/ST/OBC candidates of other States of India shall be treated as General Candidates.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India, Nepal, or Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee settled in India before the 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in the country.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- West Bengal Civil Services (Exe.) Examination will be held in three successive stages, which include Preliminary examination, Main Examination, and Personality Test.
- WBCS Prelims is a screening test for candidates to be selected for the Main Examination. It is qualifying in nature, and the marks obtained by the shortlisted candidates in the WBCS Preliminary exam will not be included in the final scores.
- The optional papers in the Main Examination are only applicable for Group A and B posts.
- The total weightage of eight papers and the personality test is 1800 marks for Group A and B posts.
- The personality test for Group B and C posts carry a weightage of 150 and 100 marks, respectively. Hence the total marks for Group C and D posts including the six main papers and the personality test are 1350 and 1300, respectively.
- The table below depicts the marking scheme for all three stages.
|WBCS Exam Pattern|
|Stage||Name of the exam||Type||Question Papers||Marks||Duration|
|I||Preliminary Exam||Objective||General Studies||200|
· Bengali/ Hindi/ Urdu/ Nepali/ Santali
· General Studies Paper – I
· General Studies Paper-II
· Constitution of India and Indian Economy
· Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning
· Optional Subject – Two papers of one subject
|200 each for Paper-I to Paper VIII||3 hours each|
|III||Personality Test||Interview||–||150/ 200||–|
The topics for the preliminary examination for WBCS posts are given below:
|Topics for WBCS Preliminary Examination|
|English Composition||Indian National Movement|
|General Science||Indian Polity and Economy|
|History of India||General Mental Ability|
|Current events of National & International Importance||Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal|
The topics for the Paper I – VI of the main examination for WBCS posts are given below:
|WBCS Main Exam||Subject|
|Paper-I (English)||Letter writing, Précis Writing, Composition, and Translation from Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali to English|
|Paper-II (Bengali/ Hindi/ Urdu/ Nepali/
|Letter writing, Précis Writing, Composition, and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali|
|Paper-III General Studies-I)||Indian History with special emphasis on National Movement, Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal|
|Paper-IV (General Studies-II)||Science and Scientific & Technological advancement, Environment, General Knowledge, Current Affairs|
|Paper-V||The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India|
|Paper-VI||Arithmetic & Test of Reasoning|