UGC Issues New Exam Calendar Guidelines For Universities
University Grants Commission has released the guidelines on examinations and academic calendar for the Universities in view of COVID-19. An Expert Committee, headed by Prof. R. C. Kuhad, Former Member, UGC and Vice-Chancellor, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh, Haryana along with other members in presence of Union HRD Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ was constituted in New Delhi on 29th April. The committee has issued guidelines for students of Universities where it has been mentioned that the new academic session for old students will commence from August and for the fresh students, it will begin from September 1, 2020.
The pending University examinations are to be conducted between July and August 2020. The commission has also recommended Universities to adopt simpler means to conduct exams in a shorter period of time. The exam timings can be reduced from 3 hours to 2 hours and flexibility must be brought in the exams by adopting efficient and innovative ways. The pandemic has severely affected the nation by bringing everything on hold. Hence, the government is trying to take appropriate measures to minimize the effects. Let’s take a look at the Academic Calendar 2019-20 and 2020-21 issued by the UGC.
Academic Calendar 2019-20
The following calendar is suggested for the academic session 2019-2020:
|Start of Even Semester||01.01.2020|
|Suspension of Classes||16.03.2020|
|Continuation of Teaching-Learning through various modes such as Online Learning / Distance Learning / Social Media (WhatsApp / YouTube) / E-mails / Video Conferencing / Mobile Apps / SWAYAMPRABHA Channels on DTH etc.||16.03.2020 to 31.05.2020|
|Finalisation of Dissertation/ Project Work/ Internship Reports/ E-labs/ Completion of Syllabus/ Internal Assessment/ Assignment/ Students Placement Drive etc.||01.06.2020 to 15.06.2020|
|Summer Vacations#||16.06.2020 to 30.06.2020|
|Conduct of Examinations:
|Evaluation and Declaration of Result:
Academic Session 2020-21
The following calendar is suggested for the academic session 2020-2021:
|Admission Process||01.08.2020 to 31.08.2020|
|Commencement of Classes
|Conduct of Examinations||01.01.2021 to 25.01.2021|
|Commencement of Classes for Even Semester||27.01.2021|
|Dispersal of Classes||25.05.2021|
|Conduct of Examinations||26.05.2021 to 25.06.2021|
|Summer Vacations||01.07.2021 to 30.07.2021|
|Commencement of Next Academic Session||02.08.2021|
Some General Guidelines
- Universities can follow a 6-day week pattern.
- Students must be given exposure to laboratory assignments/ practical experiments through virtual laboratories, sharing of the recorded visuals of laboratory work and digital resources available for the purpose.
- The link provided by MHRD for virtual laboratories to aid the students of science/ engineering/ technology streams may also fit for such purposes.
- Develop a virtual classroom and video conferencing facility for interactions with students. All teaching staff should be trained with the use of technology.
- Universities should prepare e-content/e-lab experiments and upload them on their websites.
- Strengthen the mechanism of mentor-mentee counseling.
- Universities may devise a proforma to record the Travel/ Stay history of the staff and students for the period when they were away from the university due to lockdown.
- Faculty should be appropriately trained for the use of ICT and online teaching tools so that they complete about 25% of the syllabus through online teaching and 75% syllabus through face to face teaching.