TNPSC Exam: The Examination for the direct recruitment under the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) for the Group – I posts is scheduled for 05 April 2020. In this article, you can find all the details you need to know regarding this recruitment process.
- TNPSC Group 1 Online Registration Fee is Rs.150; this one-time registration is valid for 5 years; candidates having already registered are not required to pay the registration fee.
- Preliminary Examination Fee – Rs.100
- Main Written Examination Fee – Rs.200
Note – Certain exemptions are applicable on the preliminary and main written examination, details for which are available in the official notification for TNPSC Group – I recruitment.
Following eligibility criteria is applicable to the candidates for TNPSC Group – I Exam:
- A candidate must have completed the graduation from an institute or university recognized by the UGC.
- Students appearing in the final year of graduation are also eligible to apply.
- Tamil Language proficiency is required for the posts in TNPSC Group – I recruitment.
- A candidate must fulfill the required physical criteria in terms of height, weight and chest measurements, for the vacancies of District officer and Deputy Superintendent of Police.
- In case, multiple candidates are found to be equally eligible for the posts of Deputy Superintendent of Police (Category – I), Assistant Commissioner (Commercial Taxes), and Assistant Director of Rural Development Department, preferential qualification shall be applicable. Details for the same can be found in the official notification of the TNPSC Group – I Recruitment.
Age Limit as on 01.07.2020
|Name of the Post||Lower Age Limit||Upper Age Limit|
|SCs, SC (A)s, STs, MBCs, DCs, BCs, BCMs and DWs of all categories||“Others” Applicants i.e., not belonging to SCs, SC (A)s, STs, MBCs, DCs, BCs, BCMs.|
||21 Years||37 Years||32 Years|
||21 Years||37 Years||32 Years|
||21 Years||38 Years||33 Years|
Relaxation in the Upper Age Limits:
- SC/ST/OBC category applicants can avail the upper age limit of 37 years
- PWD category candidates have an age relaxation of 10 years
- The upper age limit of 53 years is applicable for the ex-servicemen category applicants who belong to SCs, SC (A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs, BCs, and BCMs.
- Other applicants from the ex-servicemen category can avail maximum age relaxation of up to 48 years.
Level of Pay – Level 22 – Rs. 56100 – 177500 (Revised Scale)
Details of the Posts
The details of posts for TNPSC Group – I exam 2020 and their respective vacancies are given below:
|Name of the Post||Name of the Service||Vacancies|
|Deputy Collector||Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission||18|
|Deputy Superintendent of Police||Tamil Nadu Police Service||19|
|Assistant Commissioner||Tamil Nadu Commercial Taxes||10|
|Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Services||Tamil Nadu Co-Operative Society||14|
|Assistant Director of Rural Development||Tamil Nadu Panchayat Development||07|
|District Officer||Tamil Nadu Fire and Reserve Services||01|
The TNPSC Group – I recruitment process comprises three stages.
- Preliminary Examination – It is a 3-hour examination with a total of 300 marks. There are 200 questions in this objective type paper, wherein 175 questions belong to General Studies of Degree Standard, and the remaining 25 questions test the Aptitude and Mental Ability of the candidates.
- Main Written Examination is a descriptive type test with three papers having a collective weightage of 750 marks, wherein, each paper carries a weightage of 250 marks. The duration of each paper in this stage is of three hours.
- The final personal interview is of 100 marks.
There is no negative marking in either preliminary or main examination.
The minimum marks for qualifying preliminary examination as applicable for the General Category Candidates are 120 marks, and 90 marks for applicants from SC, SC (A), ST, OBC, MBC, DC, BCM categories.
The minimum marks for qualifying the mains examination and personal interview as applicable for the General Category Candidates are 340 marks, and 255 marks for applicants from SC, SC (A), ST, OBC, MBC, DC, BCM categories.
TNPSC Group 1 Prelims 2020 is a screening test for candidates to be selected for TNPSC Group 1 Mains 2020. It is qualifying in nature, and the marks obtained by the shortlisted candidates in the TNPSC Preliminary exam will not be included in the final scores.
The number of candidates selected by the Commission for Main Written Examination will be 50 times the number of total vacancies. In the case of reserved category candidates, those who are able to meet the Cut – Off for TNPSC Group – I 2020 will be shortlisted for the Mains exam.
The topics for the preliminary and main examinations for TNPSC Group – I posts are given below:
|Topics for TNPSC Group – I Preliminary Examination|
|Aptitude & Mental Ability||Indian Polity|
|General Science||Indian Economy|
|Current Events||Indian National Movement|
|Geography||History/Culture/Polity of Tamil Nadu|
|History and Culture of India||Tamil Nadu Development Administration|
|Topics for TNPSC Group – I Mains Examination|
|TNPSC Group – I Mains Paper – I|
|The modern history of India and Indian culture|
|Social issues in India and Tamil Nadu|
|General Aptitude & Mental Ability|
|TNPSC Group – I Mains Paper – II|
|Indian Polity & Emerging Political Trends|
|Role and impact of Science and Technology in the development of India|
|Tamil Society ‐ Its Culture and Heritage|
|TNPSC Group – I Mains Paper – III|
|Geography of India with special reference to Tamil Nadu|
|Environment, Bio Diversity and Disaster Management|
|Indian Economy – Current economic trends and the impact of the global economy on India|