- plaster of paris, also called POP.
- Chemically,it is 2CaSO4.H2O or CaSO4.1/2H2O (calcium sulphate hemi hydrate)
- Gypsum, (CaSO4.H2O) is used as the raw material
1. In making casts for manufacture of toys and statues.
2. In hospitals for making plaster casts to hold fractured bones in place while they
set. It is also used for making casts in dentistry.
3. For making the surface of walls and ceiling smooth.
4. For making decorative designs on ceilings, walls and pillars.
5. For making ‘chalk’ for writing on blackboard.
6. For making fire proof materials.
- Bleaching is a process of removing colour from a cloth to make it whiter.
- Chemically, it is calcium oxychloride,CaOCl2.
- It is manufactured by Hasen-Clever Method.
1. In textile industry for bleaching of cotton and linen.
2. In paper industry for bleaching of wood pulp.
3. In making wool unshrinkable.
4. Used as disinfactant and germicide for sterilization of water.
5. For the manufacture of chloroform.
6. Used as an oxidizing agent in chemical industry.