- Himachal Pradesh became the first state in the country to have a State Data Centre (SDC), designed using green data centre concept to minimize power requirement and increase power utilization efficiency.
- It was launched by the Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh in Shimla.
- Guwahati has become the first city in the country to have its own ‘city animal’ with Kamrup metropolitan district administration declaring Gangetic River Dolphin as its mascot.
- Gangetic River Dolphin is locally known as ‘Sihu’ which remains in the River Brahmaputra along Guwahati.
- Rajasthan Government has launched mobile application RajVayu for sharing information about air quality index of Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur.
- The app was launched by Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje on the eve of World Environment Day.
- Rajasthan became the first state in the country to launch such app for sharing information about air quality index of cities.
- Bollywood actress Dia Mirza has named as the ambassador for Swachh Saathi (student internship) programme.
- It is a youth-based programme of Swachh Bharat Mission. Under this Programme, more than 2000 interns would be enrolled to coordinate around 10000 schools across India. They will also ensure that all students in the schools take the pledge for Clean India.
- Minister for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal has launched ‘Surya Mitra’ mobile app at the national workshop on rooftop solar power in New Delhi.
- The GPS-based mobile app is developed by National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE).
- This app is a high-end technology platform which can handle thousands of calls simultaneously and can efficiently monitor all visits of Suryamitra’s.
Deshauna Barber, a serving Army Reserve officer of United States (US), has crowned as the Miss USA 2016 at the Miss USA competition 2016 held at the T-Mobile Arena off the Las Vegas Strip.
World Oceans Day -> 8th June
- The World Oceans Day is being observed globally on 8th June every year to raise global awareness of the current challenges faced by the international community in connection with the oceans.
- The theme of 2016 year was “Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet”.
- Union Home Ministry has decided to form new reserve battalion. It will be called Maharana India Reserve Battalion.
- It was announced by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on the occasion of the 475th birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap in Gogunda in Udaipur district.
- He also unveiled the statue of Maharana Pratap in the ceremony.
Eminent Indian-origin professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya has been awarded the prestigious Regius Professorship in Manufacturing by Queen Elizabeth II for his outstanding contribution in manufacturing.
Eden Gardens host India’s 1st pink ball match
- Kolkata’s Eden Gardens has host India’s first-ever pink ball cricket match in the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) Super League.
- The three-day match, which will be played under lights, will feature pink Kookaburra balls.
- The city of Nabab’s -Lucknow host the junior men’s hockey World Cup, which was from 8 of December to 18th of December.
- The Eleven-Day long event will feature 16 teams. They include defending champions Germany, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Egypt, England, India, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and Spain.