SSC CHSL 2018-19 is to be conducted from 1 to 26 July 2019. Today, in this English quiz we are providing English Quiz with Solutions to make your practice effective for English Language Section for SSC CHSL 2018-19 Exam. Attempt this quiz and prepare yourself flawlessly. We wish you good luck for all the upcoming Exams.
Directions (1-2): In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select ‘No Error’.
1. Dinesh has been (1)/ absence from (2)/ school since last month. (3)/ No error (4)
Sol. Replace “absence” with “absent”. We need an adjective “absent” here instead of noun “absence” since after “been” which is a linking verb an adjective should be used.
2. Seeing the increasing number of female feticide (1)/ the Prime Minister has come with an initiative (2)/ that is guaranteed to give protection to the girl child. (3)/ No error (4)
Sol. We need here “ come up with” which means produce (something), especially when pressured or challenged.
Directions (3-4): In the following question, the sentence given with blank to be ﬁlled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
3. My grandmother died ﬁve years ______.
4. Egoism is ______ or negative pride-the mentality of showing and acting superior to others.
Directions (5-6): In the following question, out of the given four alternatives, select the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Sol. “niggard” means a mean or ungenerous person; a miser.
Sol. “echelon” a level or rank in an organization, a profession, or society.
Directions (7-8): In the following question, out of the given four alternatives, select the one which best expresses the antonym of the given word.
Sol. “Preposterous” contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.
Sol. “Disarming” means (of manner or behaviour) having the effect of allaying suspicion or hostility, especially through charm.
9. A sentence has been given in Active/Passive Voice. Out of the four given alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active Voice.
He gathers the apples.
(a) The apples gather by him.
(b) The apples are gathered by him.
(c) The apples were gathered by him.
(d) The apples got gathered by him.
10. A sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect Speech. Out of the four given alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct Speech.
Meera said, “I prefer singing to dancing.”
(a) Meera said that she preferred singing to dancing.
(b) Meera say that she preferred singing to dancing.
(c) Meera said she prefer singing to dancing.
(d) Meera said that I prefer singing to dancing.
You may also like to read: