Motera Stadium: Sardar Patel Stadium also known as Motera Cricket stadium is set to become the largest cricket stadium in the world. This record is currently held by Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Australia. The Sardar Patel Stadium will have a seating capacity of 1,10,000 people. The stadium is built at a cost of 100 million dollars (approx Rs. 700 crores). Apart from cricket stadium will also host other sports like football, boxing, basketball, hockey, squash, badminton, billiards, swimming and lawn tennis. Let’s have a look at some interesting facts related to this groundbreaking colossal stadium.
- The Motera stadium is situated in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Motera Stadium or Sardar Patel Stadium is the largest cricket stadium ever built in the world.
- The stadium was originally named as the Gujarat Stadium but was later changed to Sardar Patel Stadium as a tribute to the legendary freedom fighter. The stadium is also known as the Motera Stadium.
- The stadium hosted its first ODI in 1984. The reconstruction of the stadium was recently proposed by the Gujarat government.
- The overall renovation of the Motera Stadium cost around Rs. 700 crores.
- The stadium will have a seating capacity of 1,10,000 which beats out MGC’s seating capacity of 1,00,000.
- ‘Namaste Trump‘, the event to welcome President Donald Trump held today i.e. 24th February 2020.
Below is the list of famous cricket ground around the world and their capacity.
|S No||Stadium Name||Established Date||Capacity|
|1||Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australia||1853||1,00,024|
|2||Lord’s Cricket Ground, England||1814||30,000|
|3||Eden Gardens, India||1864||66,000|
|4||Sydney Cricket Ground, Australia||1848||48,601|
|5||Arun Jaitley Stadium, India||1883||41,820|
|6||Wankhede Stadium, India||1974||33,108|
|7||M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, India||1969||40,000|
|8||Sharjah Cricket Stadium, UAE||1982||17,000|
|9||M. A. Chidambaram Stadium,India||1916||50,000|
|10||The Oval, England||1845||25,500|