Today,We are providing a quiz on Time and Distance, this quiz is very helpful for upcoming exam.
1. A car driver completes a 180 km trip in 4 hours. If he averages 50 km/h during the first 3 hours of trip, what was his speed in the final hour.
(a) 44 km/h
(b) 45 km/h
(c) 35 km/h
(d) 30 km/h
2. A and B start running towards each other at 6 km/h and 9 km/h respectively. What was the distance between them 15 minutes before they met?
(a) 800 m
(b) 2 (1/2) km
(c) 900 m
(d) 3750 m
3. On a journey across Mumbai, tourist bus average 10 km/hr for 20% of the time, 30 km/hr for 60% of it and 20 km/hr for the remainder. The average speed for the whole journey was:
(a) 10 km/hr
(b) 30 km/hr
(c) 5 km/hr
(d) 24 km/hr
4.The distance between two cities is 800 km. A motor car starts from the first city at the speed of 30 km/hr. At the same time, another car starts from the second city towards the first at the speed of 50 km/hr. The distance of the point from the first city where both the cars meet is:
(a) 200 km
(b) 300 km
(c) 400 km
(d) 500 km
5. A train travelling at the speed of 90 km/hr follows a goods train after 6 hours from a station and overtakes it in 4 hours. What is the speed of the train?
(a) 30 km/hr
(b) 60 km/hr
(c) 36 km/hr
(d) 42 km/hr
6. Two trains move from station A and station B towards each other at the speed of 50 km/hr and 60 km/hr. At the meeting point, the driver of the second train felt that the train has covered 120 km more. What is the distance between A and B?
(a) 1,320 km
(b) 1,200 km
(c) 1,100 km
(d) 960 km
7. Shan starts 3 minutes after Bonny from the same point, for a place at a distance of 4 (1/2) miles. Bonny on reaching her destination immediately returns and after walking a mile meets Shan. If Shan’s speed be a mile in 18 minutes, what is Bonny’s speed in miles per minute?
8.A Shatabdi Express train, owing to a defect in the engine, goes at 5/8 of its proper speed and arrives at 6.49 pm instead of 5.55 pm. At what hour did it start?
(a) 4.15 pm
(b) Data insufficient
(c) 4.35 pm
(d) 4.25 pm
9.A hare pursued by a greyhound, is 50 of her own leaps ahead of him. While the hare takes 4 leaps, the greyhound takes 3 leaps. In one leap, the hare goes 1(3/4) metre and the greyhound 2(3/4) metres. In how many leaps will the greyhound overtake the hare?
(a) 210 leaps
(b) 180 leaps
(c) 200 leaps
(d) 224 leaps
10. A man walks a km in b hours. The time taken to walk 200 metres is
(a) ab/200 hours
(b) 200b/a hours
(c) b/5a hours
(d) a/200b hours
Answers and Solution:
Distance in 3 hours = 50*3 = 150 km.
Speed in final hr = (180-150)/1 = 30 km/hr
Average speed = (v1t1+v2t2+v3t3)/(t+t2+t3)
= (10*.2+30*.6+20*.2)/1 = 24 km/hr.
Since time of travel for both car is same so
V1 = 30 km/hr
V2 = 50 km/hr
d1/d2 = v1/v2 = 3/5 => 3/8*800 = 300 km.
Goods train travel for 6 + 4 = 10 hrs. other train for 4 hrs,travel distance is same = v1t1 = v2t2
=> v1/v2 = t2/t1 = 10/4 = 5/2
Since v1 = 90 k/h => V2 = 36 km/hr
1 km in b/a hrs => 1000m in b/a hrs. => 200m in b/5a hrs.