Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship. It is implemented by National Skill Development Corporation.
The objective of this Skill Certification Scheme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood. Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) was launched on 15th July, 2015 (World Youth Skills Day). It is India’s largest Skill Certification Scheme.
It aims to encourage and promote skill development in the country by providing free short duration skill training and incentivizing this by providing monetary rewards to youth for skill certification.
- Short Term Training,
- Special Projects
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Kaushal& Rozgar Mela, etc.
Achievement: In 2015-16, more than 19 lakh candidates were trained.
- It was launched for the period of 2016-20. It was launched by greater alignment with other missions of the Government of India like Make in India, Digital India, Swachh Bharat, etc.
- Budget allocation: Rs. 12,000 Crore. Implementation Through Two Components:
- Centrally Sponsored Centrally Managed (CSCM): This component was implemented by National Skill Development Corporation. 75% of the funds and corresponding physical targets have been allocated under CSCM.
- Centrally Sponsored State Managed (CSSM): This component was implemented by State Governments through State Skill Development Missions (SSDMs). 25% of the PMKVY 2016-20 funds and corresponding physical targets have been allocated under CSSM.
- Achievement: More than 1.2 Crore youth have been trained/oriented under PMKVY 1.0 and PMKVY 2.0.
- It covered 717 districts in. PMKVY 3.0 is a step towards ‘Atmnanirbhar Bharat’.
It will be implemented in a more decentralized structure with greater responsibilities and support from States/UTs and Districts.
- Features of PMKVY 3.0:
- It envisages training of eight lakh candidates over a scheme period of 2020-2021 with an outlay of Rs. 948.90 crore.
- It will be more trainee- and learner-centric. The focus is on bridging the demand-supply gap by promoting skill development in areas of new-age and Industry 4.0 job roles.
- It will be a propagator of vocational education at an early level for youth to capitalize on industry-linked opportunities.
- It will encourage healthy competition between states by awarding those states that perform better.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana – FAQs
Q. PMKVY is the flagship scheme of which ministry?
Ans. PMKVY is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship.
Q. PMKVY was launched in which year?
Ans. It was launched in 2015.