Polygons are 2-dimensional shapes made up of straight lines and enclosed within sides. Polygon meaning all the closed shapes with straight-line figures come under the category of a polygon. You must know about the definition, shape, types, formula and examples of a polygon by reading down the article given below.
A polygon is an enclosed shape with straight lines. 2-dimensional shapes like Rectangle, square etc are categorized under polygon. Polygons have a finite number of sides. A circle is not a polygon as it has a curved shape. The points where the 2 straight lines meet are called vertices. The interior is called the body.
Types of Polygon
There are mainly 2 types of Polygon:
- Regular Polygon- The polygon which has equal sides and equal angles. Generally, questions from regular polygon are asked in the exam.
- Irregular Polygon- The one with unequal sides and angles.
Below figures show Regular and Irregular Polygons:
Properties of Polygon
- Polygon: It is a closed plane figure bounded by three or more than three straight lines.
- Regular Polygon: All the sides are equal and also all the interior angles are equal
Sum of Interior angles of a polygon = (n – 2) × 180
n → number of sides
Sum of exterior angle = 360
|Different Types Of Polygons|
|Triangle (or Trigon)||3||60°|
|Quadrilateral (or Tetragon)||4||90°|
|Heptagon (or Septagon)||7||128.571°|
|Nonagon (or Enneagon)||9||140°|
|Hendecagon (or Undecagon)||11||147.273°|
|n-gon||n||(n-2) × 180° / n|
Important Formulae Related to Regular Polygon :
The important Polygon formulas have been listed below including the formula for the area of a polygon.
Question-based on polygons
Q1.The ratio between the number of sides of two regular polygon is 1 : 2 and the ratio between their interior angles is 2 : 3. The number of sides of these polygons are respectively:
(a) 3, 6
(b) 5, 10
(c) 4, 8
(d) 6, 12
Q4. The ratio between the number of sides of two regular polygon 1 : 2 and the ratio between their interior angle is 3 : 4. The number of sides of these polygons are respectively :
(a) 3, 6
(b) 4 , 8
(c) 6, 9
(d) 5, 10
Q10.One angle of a pentagon is 140°. If the remaining angles are in the ratio 1 : 2 : 3 : 4, the size of the greatest angle is :
You may also like to read:
- What is PM Garib Kalyan Yojana? Know The Details
- List Of Government Exams Postponed Due To Coronavirus
- First Made-in-India COVID-19 Test Kit by Mylab Gets Commercial Approval