PM KUSUM Scheme: Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM) scheme was introduced by the Government of India to increase the income of farmers and offer sources for irrigation and de-dieselize the farm sector.
- PM-KUSUM Scheme Approval of Pradhan Mantri Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyaan (PM KUSUM) Scheme was approved on 8th March 2019.
- This scheme was launched by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) for the installation of solar pumps and other renewable power plants across the nation.
- Under PM KUSUM Scheme, farmers, groups of farmers, panchayat, co-operative societies can apply to plant a solar pump.
- The total cost involved in this scheme is divided into 3 categories in which the Government will help farmers. The government will provide a subsidy of 60% to farmers and 30% of the cost will be given by Government in form of loans.
- Farmers will only have to give 10% of the total cost of the project. The electricity generated from the solar panel can be sold by the farmers.
- PM KUSUM Scheme provides risk-free income for farmers.
- It will help in developing a system to check groundwater overexploitation.
- PM KUSUM Scheme provides uninterrupted power supply to farmers.
- This scheme Helps in the reduction of carbon footprint in agriculture
- PM KUSUM Scheme Reduces farmer’s burden of farm power subsidy.
PM KUSUM Scheme is divided into 3 components which are as follows:
- Under PM KUSUM Scheme, workers will establish 10,000 MW of decentralized renewable energy power plants which are grid-connected on barren land
- These grids will be set up by farmers, cooperatives, groups of farmers, panchayats, Water User Associations (WUA), and Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO)
- The Power projects will be set up within the radius of 5 km of the sub-station
- Under PM KUSUM Scheme, farmers will be supported to install stand-alone solar agriculture pumps worth 17.50 lakh
- The capacity of the pumps will be up to 5 HP for the replacement of existing diesel agriculture pumps
- The capacity can be higher than 7.5 HP but financial support will only be provided until 7.5 HP capacity
- This PM KUSUM Scheme is for solarisation of 10 Lakh Grid Connected Agriculture Pumps and individual farmers will be supported to solarize pumps those having grid-connected pumps
- Extrasolar power will be sold to Distribution Companies of India (DISCOMs) at a pre-fixed tariff
- Farmer’s irrigation needs shall be met by using the generated solar power.
PM KUSUM Scheme: FAQs
Q. What is the objective of PM KUSUM Scheme?
Ans. Increasing farmers’ income, provide reliable source for irrigation and de-dieselise the farm sector.
Q. Who launched PM KUSUM Scheme?
Ans. Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
Q. What is grid-connected solar plant?
Ans. A grid-connected photovoltaic system, or grid-connected PV system is an electricity generating solar PV power system that is connected to the utility grid.
Q.What is the full form of PM KUSUM Scheme?
Ans. PM-KUSUM (Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan)
If you download the Adda247 App. You get acesss to valuable Study Material for FREE
- Notes & Articles
- Job Alerts
- Current Affairs Updates
- Current Affairs Capsules
- Mock Tests