Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday addressed the press and made some major announcements to resolve the economic stress and battle the COVID-19 virus. The announcements made by her during the press conference were especially dedicated to the urban-rural poor and the daily-waged labourers. Here is the round-up of announcements made by Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Finance Minister thanked all the front line workers and expresses her gratitude towards ASHA workers, sanitary workers, doctors, paramedics. She announced an insurance cover for them of Rs 50 lakh per person.
- She announced a Rs. 1.7 lakh crore Prime Minister Gareeb Kalyan Yojana. Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced that the relief package includes direct benefit cash transfers, free LPG, grains and pulses for the poor whereas the middle class would be able to withdraw the funds from Employees Provident Fund (EPF) account.
- Direct cash transfers will help the farmers, MGNREGA, poor widows, Pensioners & divyangs.
- 8.69 crore farmers will be immediately benefited through Direct cash transfers. Installment of Rs. 2000 in the first week of April will be transferred.
- Finance Minister announced that the government will pay the EPF contribution, of both the employer and employee, for 3 months for all the establishments with less than 100 employees out of which 90% earn below ₹15,000 per month.
- Women with Jan Dhan accounts will get an ex-gratia amount of ₹500 per month for 3 months to run households during this period.
- Ujjwala beneficiaries will get free cooking gas (LPG) cylinders for next three months. This will benefit 8.3 crore families who are below BPL.
- Under Prime Minister Garib Ann Yojna each one will get an additional 5 kg rice or wheat per month in addition to the existing scheme.
- She said that the package will help 80 crore people and assured that no poor will be without food.