The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) was constituted by an act of Parliament, the National Highways Authority of India Act,1988. It is responsible for the development, maintenance and management of National Highways entrusted to it and for matters connected.The Authority was operationalised in Feb 1995.
The National Highways Development Project (NHDP) is a major effort to expand and upgrade the network of highways. NHAI often uses a public-private partnership model for highway development, maintenance, and toll-collection.The NHDP (National Highway Development Project) is currently operating in three phases: The Golden Quadrilateral, North-South East-West Corridor, and other minor port connectivity projects.
The Golden Quadrilateral (5,846 km) connects four major cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata.
India has the 2nd largest road network in the world spreading over 4.24 million kms at present, consisting of national highways(NH), expressways, state highways(SH), district roads and village roads.The total length of NH (including expressways) in the country at present is 93,051 km. While highways constitute only about 1.7% of the length of all roads, they carry about 40% of the road traffic. Here we are providing a list of few highways important for SSC CGL.
- NH1 → Amritsar to New Delhi.
- NH1A → Jalandhar to Uri (Only highway passing through Jawahar Tunnel).
- NH2 → New Delhi to Kolkata (NH-1 and NH-2 are collectively called as the Grand Trunk Road).
- NH3 → Agra to Mumbai
- NH4 → Mumbai to Chennai
- NH16 (NH5) → Chennai to Kolkata (Previously known as NH5)
- NH6 → Kolkata to Hazira (Gujarat) [2nd longest highway]
- NH44(NH7) → Varanasi to Kanyakumari (Previously named as NH7. It is the longest National Highway. Its length is 2369 km. and it crosses seven States namely UP, MP, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu.NH-1 and NH-7 cross each other at Nagpur)
- NH8 → New Delhi to Mumbai (via Jodhpur Jaipur, Ahmedabad)
- NH9 → Pune to Macchlipattanam (Andhra)
- NH10 → Delhi to Fazalikka (Punjab)
- NH15 → Hazira to Pathankot (Only Highway passing to Thar desert)
- NH17 → Mumbai to Kochi
- NH31 → Patna to Guwahati (Lifeline of NE India)
- NH39 → Numaligarh to Indo-Myanmar Border (NH-39 is called as “Lifeline of Myanmar”)
- NH47A → Kochi to Wellington Island (Kerala, Shortest National Highway of length 6 km)
- NH24 → New Delhi to Ghaziabad
- National: Yellow and white
- State: Green and white.
- City: Black and white