IOA Athletes Commission member: Olympic medalists MC Mary Kom, PV Sindhu, Mirabai Chanu, and Gagan Narang are just a few of the ten illustrious athletes who were chosen to serve on the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Athletes Commission. Five men and the same number of women were elected as all 10 members of the top body without any opposition.
IOA Athletes Commission member: Key Points
- The remaining six members of the elected panel are winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan, table tennis player Sharath Kamal, women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal, fencer Bhavani Devi, rower Bajrang Lal, and former shot putter Om Prakash Singh Karhana. They are all Olympians.
- After a large number of athletes withdrew from the meeting, a 10-member athletes commission was chosen without a vote.
- The other individuals elected to the athletes commission in addition to Mary, Sharath, Gagan, and Sindhu were Mirabai Chanu, Rani Rampal, Bhavani Devi, Bajrang Lal, OP Karhana, and Shiva Keshavan.
- The remaining six members are currently looking to join one of the IOA’s commissions, including those that deal with ethics and arbitration, among others.
- The next IOA elections to choose the new executive body will take place on December 10, and the members of the athletes commission are not eligible to vie for an office-bearer position.
IOA Athletes Commission member: Other Important Highlights
- Gagan and Sindhu will have their votes counted in the general assembly, while Mary Kom and Achanta will have voting rights in the executive council (EC).
- The other members of the athletes commission will not be allowed to vote.
- Similar to this, the eight “sportspersons of outstanding merit” (SOM), who will have voting privileges in the general assembly, will be chosen by the athletes commission.
- During the elections, Gagan, Sindhu, and eight SOMs will all cast ballots.
- The SOMs will be retired athletes who haven’t played a competitive sport in at least a year as of the application deadline.
- By November 19, the athletic commission will have the authority to choose the SOMs.
- The commission does not, however, have the authority to choose which SOM would run for which office(s) in the elections. SOMs can nominate themselves to run for IOA office, according to six-time Winter Olympian and four-time Asian champion Keshavan.
- Abhinav Bindra, a member of the IOC’s athletes commission, and Sardar Singh, a member of the OCA’s athletes standing committee, were co-opted as the two ex-officio members of the athletes commission. They participated virtually in the meeting at the JLN stadium along with Mirabai, Bhavani, and Sindhu.
You may also like to read:
- International Day For Tolerance 2022: Date, Theme, History, Significance, Facts And Quotes
- MS Dhoni To Receive An SOS From BCCI, Can Be Named Director Of Cricket
- Amazon first company to experience a market cap loss of $1 trillion
- Vikram-S: First Privately Developed Rocket of India
- SSC Stenographer Exam Analysis