List of most polluted Indian cities 2022: India’s air pollution levels grew worse in 2022. As per the information provided by the Central Pollution Control Board, out of 163 Indian cities, Katihar in Bihar had the highest AQI (Air Quality Index), measuring 360 on November 7.
List of most polluted Indian cities 2022: Key Points
- Delhi’s AQI was 354, Noida’s was 328, and Ghaziabad’s was 304 as per the data.
- The most polluted cities included Begusarai (Bihar), Ballabgarh, Faridabad, Kaithal, and Gurugram in Haryana, as well as Gwalior (MP).
- The information serves as a warning for India. The biggest number of farm fires this year, according to the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), were reported in Punjab.
- Due to farm fires and vehicle emissions, the pollution levels in North India, particularly in the national capital region, alternated between “severe” and “extremely poor.”
Environment Minister Gopal Rai has urged the chief ministers of Uttar Pradesh and Haryana to take action to reroute trucks carrying non-essential products onto nearby expressways in an effort to cut vehicle emissions and prevent gridlock at the capital’s borders.
List of most polluted Indian cities 2022: Table
The list of top 10 Most pollutes Indian cities contains 3 cities from Bihar and Haryana each, and 2 cities from Uttar Pradesh. Here is the list of most polluted Indian cities:
Air Quality Index (AQI)
|Noida, Uttar Pradesh||328|
|Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh||312|
|Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh||304|
List of most polluted Indian cities 2022: Air Quality Index
- As per Safar, a forecasting organisation under the Ministry of Earth and Sciences, due to unfavourable transport-level winds, stubble burning’s contribution to Delhi’s PM2.5 pollution decreased from 30% on Friday to 21% on Saturday.
- Farm fire smoke is carried to the National Capital Region by transport-level winds, which blow in the troposphere and stratosphere, the lowest two layers of the atmosphere.
- The Air Quality Index (AQI), which is connected to chronic respiratory disorders, assesses the concentration of PM 2.5 levels, which are tiny particles smaller than 2.5 microns that can enter the bloodstream and reach the lungs and heart.
List of most polluted Indian cities 2022: Effect on Health
- According to Greenpeace, air pollution caused more than 1.2 million premature deaths in India in 2017.
- In addition to harming healthy lungs, breathing poisonous air has been discovered to hasten the death of people who already have respiratory ailments.