On this jubilant occasion of International Women’s Day which is celebrated every year on 8th of March on the official agreement of United Nations, let us highlight key points and notes based on this important topic.Women are a winsome and an indelible foundation of a well reputed society. Considering the importance of this celebrated day worldwide, ADDA247 is here with must read and adequate notes on International Women’s Day along with the coverage of list of popular and revered women whose altruistic work for the society is a memento and something that encourages every woman to feel proud of her for being a woman. This topic is not only important to remain updated with the current situations of women in the modern society but upholds its importance from the exam point of view when it comes to General Awareness Section of Government Exams. SSC CHSL Exam has already started from 4th March and SSC CPO is the next opportunity.
International Women’s Day is an occasion to celebrate the progress made towards achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment but also to critically reflect on those accomplishments and strive for a greater momentum towards gender equality worldwide.
It is a day to recognize the extraordinary acts of women and to stand together, as a united force, to advance gender equality around the world.
In 1945, the Charter of the United Nations became the first international agreement to affirm the principle of equality between women and men.
The UN celebrated its first official International Women’s Day on 8 March during International Women’s Year in 1975.
First In India (Women):
• The first Indian woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize – Mother Teresa (1979).
• The first woman Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi (1966 to 1977).
Named as the “Woman of the Millennium” by BBC in 1999.
• The first Indian woman to be awarded the Bharat Ratna – Smt Indira Gandhi (1971).
• The first woman President of India – Pratibha Patil (July 2007 to July 2012).
• The first woman president of the Indian National Congress – Annie Besant.
• The first lady Governor of an Indian state – Smt Sarojini Naidu.
• The first lady Chief Minister of State – Smt Sucheta Kripalani.
• The first lady Central minister of the country – Smt Rajkumari Amrit Kaur.
• The first woman to become the Chief Election Commissioner – Mrs Rama Devi.
• The first woman to be appointed the Speaker of Lok Sabha – Mrs Meira Kumar.
• The first woman president of UN General Assembly – Mrs Vijayalaxmi Pandit.
• The first woman to be appointed Chief Justice of a state High Court – Justice Leila Seth
(Delhi High Court-1991).
• The first woman to be appointed judge of the Supreme Court – Justice M Fatima Beevi (1989).
• The first woman officer in India – Kiran Bedi (IPS in 1972).
Became the first woman who was appointed as the United Nations Civil Police adviser.
• The first Indian woman to climb Mt Everest – Bachendri Pal.
• The first woman in the world to climb Mount Everest twice – Santosh Yadav
(May 1992 and May 1993)
• The first Indian woman who reached in space – Kalpana Chawla.
• The first Indian woman to swim the English Channel – Aarti Saha.
• The first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal – Karnam Malleswari
(In Weightlifting -2000 Summer Olympics).
• The only woman boxer who has won a medal in each of the six World Championships – Mary Kom Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom.
• The first ever Indian woman to win the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) title – Sania Mirza(2005).
• The first Indian women to win a medal in Badminton in Olympic Games – Saina Nehwal
(2012 Summer Olympics).
• The first Indian female gymnast at the Olympics – Dipa Karmakar.
• The first Indian woman to receive a gallantry award in the Indian Army – Major Mitali Madhumita (Sena Medal for her acts of bravery in Afghanistan).
• The first woman to score a double hundred in Test Cricket – Mithali Raj (214* against New Zealand at Wellington, 2004). The first to achieve this landmark in the world.
• The first Indian woman to win the Miss Universe title – Sushmita Sen.
• The first Indian woman to win the Miss World title – Reita Faria Powel.
• The first Indian woman to ride a motorbike from Kanyakumari to Kashmir – Roshini Sharma.