How Do I Score 360+ in the SSC CGL Mains?
SSC CGL Tier 2 or mains examination is the second stage towards getting the dream job of aspirants and become a part of the prestigious organizations under the central government. It is scheduled to be held from 2nd November to 5th November 2020. SSC CGL mains consists of 2 compulsory papers of English Language and Quantitative Ability for 200 marks each. The other two papers are optional for specific posts based on the cut off marks scored in SSC CGL Tier 1. In order to get a top-level post through SSC CGL exam, aspirants must score high marks in Tier 2 to secure their position. To get the post of income tax inspector or Assistant Section officer, you need to score 360+ marks in the SSC CGL mains. How is it possible? Let’s check out the tips and tricks that will help you to ace the mains exam like a pro.
Tips to Score 360+ in the SSC CGL Mains
SSCADDA is here to help you with the SSC CGL Mains exam with the useful tips and tricks to score 360+ in the exam out of 400. Candidates must target 170+ in Quantitative ability section and 190+ in the English language section.
- Click Here To Check SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus
- SSC CGL Cut off | Comparison with Previous Years
- SSC CGL Salary: Check Post Wise Salary Structure
1. Go through the topic-wise distribution of questions based on past years
First, go through the distribution of questions in each subject and note down the topics carrying maximum weightage. We have provided the distribution of questions from the past years in the table given below. Candidates must focus on strengthening topics with maximum weightage to score high marks.
English Language Topic Wise distribution of questions
|SSC CGL Tier 2: Topic Wise Distribution Of Questions in the English Language|
|1||Spot the error||20||–||20||20||20||20||20|
|2||Fill In The Blanks||5||–||5||5||5||5||11|
|5||Spelling/detecting misspelt words||3||–||3||3||3||3||4|
|6||Idioms & Phrases||10||–||10||10||10||10||10|
|7||One word substitution||12||–||12||12||14||12||12|
|8||Improvement of sentences||22||–||22||22||22||22||22|
|9||Active/Passive voice of verbs||20||–||20||20||20||20||20|
|10||Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narration||27||–||27||27||26||27||25|
|11||Jumbled Paragraph / Sentence Rearrangement||20||–||20||20||20||20||20|
Quantitative Ability Topic Wise distribution of questions
|SSC CGL Tier 2: Topic Wise Distribution Of Questions in Quantitative Aptitude|
|3||Time & Work, Pipe & Cistern||6||6||6||5||6||5||4|
|4||Profit & Loss, Discount||10||11||11||10||10||9||9|
|5||Ratio, Mixture & Alligation||6||6||4||4||7||8||6|
|6||Time Speed Distance, Boat & Stream Trains||4||5||6||8||4||3||4|
|7||Interest (CI & SI)||4||4||5||4||3||4||4|
|10||Trigonometry, Height & Distance||9||7||10||9||10||9||11|
|13||Surds & Indices, Simplification||2||4||0||2||0||3||3|
2. Focus on Topics carrying maximum marks
- In English paper, topics such as Active/Passive voice, Direct/ Indirect narration, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage, Sentence Rearrangement, Improvement of sentences etc are the topics carrying highest marks.
- Similarly, in Quantitative ability section Geometry, Mensuration, Trigonometry, Number System, Profit & Loss, Discount, Ratio, Mixture & Alligation, Percentage, Average etc.
- You must first try to strengthen these topics and then work on others.
3. Work on your weaker topics
- While focusing on topics carrying maximum marks, do not neglect other sections or your weaker section.
- In order to score high marks, you can not afford to miss out on anything.
- Attempt daily quizzes to work on your weaker areas.
- Take a look at the topics carrying fewer marks and know if you can attempt these questions easily in the exam.
4. Practice One mock daily
- Mock test is your best friend while aiming for the SSC CGL mains.
- Without attempting enough mocks, you can not dream of scoring 360+ in the exam.
- Also, it is important to analyze your mock test after appearing for it.
- Compare your score each time you attempt one mock.
- Try to figure out the areas where you are lacking.
5. Accuracy and Time Management is the key
- Accuracy and time management are the key factors to score high marks in any exam.
- There is negative marking and hence one should avoid guesswork and mark the answer only when they are sure.
- In Quantitative ability, it is crucial to managing time as 2 hours are sometimes not enough to attempt 100 questions.
- The best way is to attempt easier questions first and not waste your time on questions that you are not able to figure out.
6. Focus on Conceptual knowledge and not on short tricks
- Try to focus more on your conceptual knowledge instead of cramming all the short tricks.
- In the exam, it happens sometimes that you may forget the short trick but if your basic concepts are clear, you will be able to crack the question.
- In the English Language, learn all the grammar rules and try to understand the question before attempting it.
7. Take a look at the previous year’s papers
- Previous year papers act as a stepping stone towards scoring high marks.
- You must follow up on the questions asked over the years to get an idea of the variety of questions asked by SSC.
- You can note down the topics or questions that you find difficult.
- While preparing for English language, previous year papers are essential as many times, questions are repeated.