Today’s Word from The Hindu
• Meaning: The group following and attending to some important person
• Synonym: retinue, cortege, sycophants
• Antonym: leader
• Sentence: Her entourage followed her, shambling a little, and blank-eyed.
• Meaning: A familiar name for a person
• Synonym: appellation, moniker, byname
• Antonym: name
• Sentence: Joe’s mother would not use his sobriquet and always called him Joseph
• Meaning: Any closely ranked crowd of people; a body of troops in close array
• Synonym: multitude, throng, myriad
• Antonym: individual, one
• Sentence: It conquers amid the burning sands of the south where the phalanx of Alexander halted in mutiny.
• Meaning: Someone who has returned from the dead
• Synonym: apparition, spectre, phantom
• Antonym: being, reality
• Sentence: You are now one of us; a revenant, even as I, and to live you must feed on the living.
• Meaning: Feeling or showing little interest or enthusiasm; Moderately warm
• Synonym: apathetic, lukewarm, languid
• Antonym: keen, cold, hot
• Sentence: It will be proper never to apply water to them beyond a tepid temperature.
• Meaning: Place side by side
• Synonym: appose, connect, pair
• Antonym: gap, divergence
• Sentence: The fauvists juxtaposed strong colours.
• Meaning: A (temporary) relief from harm or discomfort;
• Synonym: abatement, absolution, clemency
• Antonym: continuation
• Sentence: The reprieve in such circumstances was omitted often enough to make the condemned endure the real agony of death.
• Meaning: Walk heavily and firmly, as when weary, or through mud
• Synonym: lumber, tramp, traipse
• Antonym: tiptoe
• Sentence: Mules trudged in a circle around a grindstone.
• Meaning: Move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner; Kill intentionally and with premeditation
• Synonym: wader, in numerous, pecker
• Antonym: ditch, lack, debt
• Sentence: Arbaces fought with the utmost bravery, and slew many of the Assyrians, but was wounded.
• Meaning: A team representing a college or university
• Synonym: first team, starters, first strings
• Sentence: The journey home was given to the careful recital of news of Winnipeg, of the ‘ Varsity, and of mutual friends.