Governor is the head of a state in the same way as the President is the head of the republic. The Governor is the nominal head of a state, whereas the Chief Minister is the executive head. All the executive actions of the state are taken in the name of the Governor. The real powers of the executive dealings of a state rest with the Chief Minister and the Council of Ministers. Apart from the governors in the states, Lieutenant governors are appointed in Union Territories of Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island and Pudducherry. All the other UTs are governed by the Administrative Head. Chandigarh is the only exception where the governor of Punjab is also the lieutenant governor of Chandigarh.
List of Current Governors in India
Below is the list of all the Governors of States of India:
|State||Current Governor||Took Over The Post On|
|Andhra Pradesh||Shri Biswa Bhusan Harichandan||July 24, 2019|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Brig. (Dr.) B. D. Mishra (Retd.)||October 3, 2017|
|Assam||Prof. Jagdish Mukhi||October 1, 2017|
|Bihar||Shri Phagu Chauhan||July 29, 2019|
|Chhattisgarh||Sushri Anusuiya Uikey||July 29, 2019|
|Goa||Shri Satya Pal Malik||November 3, 2019|
|Gujarat||Shri Acharya Dev Vrat||July 22, 2019|
|Haryana||Shri Satyadeo Narayan Arya||August 25, 2018|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shri Bandaru Dattatraya||September 11, 2019|
|Jharkhand||Shrimati Droupadi Murmu||May 18, 2015|
|Karnataka||Shri Vajubhai Vala||September 1, 2014|
|Kerala||Shri Arif Mohammed Khan||September 6, 2019|
|Madhya Pradesh||Shri Lal Ji Tandon||July 29, 2019|
|Maharashtra||Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari||September 5, 2019|
|Manipur||Dr. Najma Heptulla||August 21, 2016|
|Meghalaya||Shri Tathagata Roy||January 27, 2020|
|Mizoram||Shri P.S. Sreedharan Pillai||November 5, 2019|
|Nagaland||Shri R. N. Ravi||August 1, 2019|
|Odisha||Prof. Ganeshi Lal||May 29, 2018|
|Punjab||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore||August 22, 2016|
|Rajasthan||Shri Kalraj Mishra||September 9, 2019|
|Sikkim||Shri Ganga Prasad||August 26, 2018|
|Tamil Nadu||Shri Banwarilal Purohit||October 6, 2017|
|Telangana||Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan||September 8, 2019|
|Tripura||Shri Ramesh Bais||July 29, 2019|
|Uttar Pradesh||Smt. Anandiben Patel||July 29, 2019|
|Uttarakhand||Smt. Baby Rani Maurya||August 26, 2018|
|West Bengal||Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar||July 30, 2019|
Lieutenant Governors And Administrators for Union Territories
List of all the Lieutenant Governors And Administrators for Union Territories have been given below
|Union Territory||Lieutenant Governor (LG)/ Administrator||Took Over the Post on|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Admiral D.K. Joshi (LG)||October 8, 2017|
|Chandigarh||Shri V.P. Singh Badnore (Administrator)||August 22, 2016|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||Shri Praful Patel (Administrator)||January 26, 2020|
|The Government of NCT of Delhi||Shri Anil Baijal (LG)||December 31, 2016|
|Jammu & Kashmir||Shri Girish Chandra Murmu (LG)||October 31, 2019|
|Ladakh||Shri Radha Krishna Mathur (LG)||October 31, 2019|
|Lakshadweep||Shri Dineshwar Sharma (Administrator)||November 3, 2019|
|Puducherry||Dr. Kiran Bedi (LG)||May 29, 2016|
As per the Constitution of India, the following are the eligibility criteria for the appointment of the Governor in a particular state:
- Candidate must be a citizen of India.
- Candidate must be above the age of 35 years.
- The candidate who applied must not hold any other office of profit.
- He/she must not be a member of the Legislature of the Union or of any other state.
- There is no bar for the selection of the Governor from amongst the members of the Legislature, provided that on the appointment, the candidate must immediately cease to be a Member of the Legislature.
Role And Responsibilities
Governor is the constitutional head of the state. Being the nominal head of the State, various responsibilities rest with the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor/Administrator.
- Legislative, Judicial, Executive and Financial powers are laid down for the Governor of a State
- Governor holds the right to address, summon, differ and dissolve the State Legislatures
- In case of unforeseen circumstances, the Governor reserves the right to make advances from the State Contingency Fund
- The Chief Justice of a State High Court is elected with the consent of the State Governor
- If no political party wins in the Lok Sabha election, then the Governor holds the right to elect the Chief Minister for their states
- In case of constitutional emergency, the President’s rule in a state is acted upon by the Governor
- He can disqualify any member from elections with the consent of the Election Commission
- State Legislators must lay the state budget keeping the Governor’s opinion in consideration
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who appoints the Governor of a State in India?
Ans. Governor of a State in India is appointed by the President.
Q. Who is the executive head of the State Government?
Ans. The Governor is the executive head of the State Government.
Q. Who was the first woman Chief Minister in independent India?
Ans. Sarojini Naidu was the first woman Chief Minister in independent India.
Q. Who appoints the Chief Minister?
Ans. The Governor appoints the Chief Minister of a state.