- Jainism was founded by Aadinath and Rishabha Dev, while the real founder was Mahavir swami.
- The five Mahavarta (important principles) of Jainism are-: Ahimsa, Satya (truth), Asteya (not to steal), Aparigraha and Brahmacharya.
- The first 4 was added by 23rd Tirthankar “Parasnath” while the 5th was added by Mahavir.
- Vardhamana Mahavira was a contemporary of Buddha.
- He was born in 540 BC at kundigram in Vaishali(Bihar).
- He was a kshatriya prince of the Lichchhavis, a group that was part of the Vajji sangha.
- The parents of Mahavira were Siddhartha and Trishala.His childhood name was Vardhmaan.
- Mahavira married a princess named Yashoda.
- Anujya or Priyadarshna was the daughter of Mahavira who was married to Jamali.
- At the age of 30, Mahavira took permission from his elder brother “Nandi Vardhan” and left his home.
- At the age of 42 years, under Sal tree on the bank of river Rijupalika, He attained the highest spiritual knowledge.
- He died in 468 B.C because of self-starvation at Pava, near Rajgriha.
- Mahavir gave his first sermon at Pava to 11 Brahman.
- Jains believe that by following the three-fold path of right Belief, right Knowledge and right Conduct, souls will be released from transmigration and reach the pure and blissful abode.
- First Jain Council was held at Patliputra under the chairmanship of Sthulabhadra in 367 B.C.It resulted in the compilation of 12 Angas replacing the lost 14 Purvas.
- The Second Jain Council was held at Vallabhi under the chairmanship of Devardhi in 526 A.D.
- Jainism literature: They were written in Prakrit language.
- Aachrang Sutra- Tells about meditation of Mahavir for 12 years.
- Kalpa-sutra – Biographies of Jain Tirthankaras mainly ParashnaMahavir.
- Bhagwati Sutra – It contains thousands of question and answers on various topics from four Anuyogas, Such as soul, entities, matter, ultimate particles and universe.
Q1. First lady to join Jainism Association.?
Q2. How many Tirthankaras are known in Jainism?
Ans: 24 Tirthankaras.
Q3. Priyadarshna, the daughter of Mahavir was married to whom?
Ans: Jamali, his most favourite disciple.
Q4. Who was the twenty-fourth and last Tirthankara?
Ans: Vardhaman Mahavir.
Q5.Who laid the important principles of Jainism?
Q6.What are the Triratna (Three Jewels) in Jainism?
Ans: Right faith, right knowledge and right conduct.
Q7. In which language Mahavir gave his first sermon?