Directions (Q.1-10) : In the following questions, a part of the sen¬tence is printed in bold. Below are giv¬en alternatives to the bold part at (a), (b), (c) which may improve the sen¬tence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, your answer is (d). 1. Even as a young boy, he has lacked the inclination to go outdoors and play.
simple past tense verb will be used.
2. If I were you, I would report the matter at once.
subjunctive mood “were” is used in first part correctly.
3. The lady laid out a special dinner for her husband on his birthday.
preposition ‘out’ is not needed here
4. One of my old friends has invited me for tea in the evening.
to take tea
preposition ‘to’ is used in such context.
5. You don’t want a beggar to look happy, isn’t it?
in question tag sentences, only one part of the sentence should be negative, and second part structure depends on the first part noun/pronoun.
6. I have been knocking at the door five times; I don’t think anybody is in.
had been knocking
present perfect tense will be used.
7. Supposing if he fails again, will he be able to hold his head high?
suppose he fails
suppose if he fails
supposing he will fail
‘suppose’ and ‘if’ will not be used together, hence option (a) is correct
8. The jury could not arrive at any decision in the strength of scanty evidence.
with the strength of
on the strength of
on strength with
“on the strength of” is correct expression. ‘on’ is appropriate preposition here .
9. No prize or medal have been given to the boy, though he stood first in the examination.
simple past tense will be used in passive voice.
10. He seldom or ever loses his temper.
seldom or never
seldom, nor ever
seldom, if ever
“seldom or never “ is correct phrase.
ALL THE BEST
Download Upcoming Government Exam Calendar 2021
Thanks for downloading the guide. For similar guides, free study material, quizzes, videos and job alerts you can download the Adda247 app from play store.