Republic Day 2023: As the principal guest for Republic Day 2023, India has invited Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi, according to a statement released on Sunday by the Ministry of External Affairs. A president of Egypt serving as the main guest at Republic Day celebrations would be a first.
Egyptian President chief guest for Republic Day 2023: Key Points
- One of the nine invited nations to the G20 summit in 2023, which will be hosted by India, is Egypt.
- On December 1, India will formally take over the G20 leadership from Indonesia, which is now in charge.
- Based on centuries-old civilizational links and strong interpersonal ties, India and Egypt have cordial and amicable relations.
- This year marks the 75th anniversary of the two nations’ establishing of diplomatic relations. Egypt has been asked to participate in the G20 presidency of India in 2022–2023 as a “Guest Country.”
- During an official trip to Cairo last month, it’s been reported that External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar offered the formal invitation to el-Sisi.
Chief guest for Republic Day 2023:
It is important to note that the Covid-19 pandemic prevented India from inviting any foreign dignitaries as the principal guests for the Republic Day celebrations in 2021 and 2022. Jair Bolsonaro, the former president of Brazil, was the special guest to attend the 2020 Republic Day celebrations on January 26 before the Covid-19 pandemic.
The chief guest’s invitation followed Jaishankar’s recent trip to Egypt, where he highlighted the fact that numerous reputable Indian companies were planning to make investments in the Arab country.