Donyi Polo Airport: The brand-new Donyi Polo airport, the first greenfield building in Arunachal Pradesh, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, November 19, 2022, to the chanting of incantations by tribal priests. The border state would be connected to neighbouring Indian cities with commercial flights from the airport in Hollongi, some 15 km from the state capital Itanagar, as well as other regions of Arunachal Pradesh by helicopter services.
Donyi Polo Airport: Key Points
- The 600 MW Kameng hydropower project in the West Kameng district of the northeastern state was dedicated to the country by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Approximately 80 square kilometres of land were used to create the Kameng hydropower plant, which cost over Rs 8,450 crore.
- It is anticipated that Arunachal Pradesh would experience a power surplus and that the national grid will gain stability and integration as a result.
- The prime minister claimed that his administration works 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to advance the nation.
- It will provide services to almost 20 lakh people in the area and aid to increase connection, trade, and tourism.
- A coffee-table book about the regional connectivity initiative UDAN of the federal government was also released by the prime minister.
Donyi Polo Airport: Attendees
Both Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu and Union Law Minister Kiren Rijiju were present.
Donyi Polo Airport: Background
- The central government has placed a high priority on enhancing connectivity within, within, and between the region.
- Nine airports were open and operating in the NE as of 2014.
- According to a government statement, aircraft mobility in the northeast has since increased by 113%, from 852 per week in 2014 to 1,817 per week in 2022, as a result of the construction of seven additional operational airports.
- The idea for an airport in the capital of Arunachal was created in 2005 after locals had long sought one.
- But PM Modi actually laid the cornerstone on February 9, 2019. Despite the Covid epidemic, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) finished the project on schedule.
Donyi Polo Airport: About
The airport, which cost Rs. 645 crore to construct, can accommodate 300 people at peak times and is weather-ready. Airbus A320 and Boeing 737 aircraft can take off and land here thanks to its 2. 3 km-long runway. The Donyi Polo Airport, according to Arunachal CM Prema Khandu in a series of tweets, will ensure seamless connectivity and improve access to Itanagar, boosting trade and tourism in the region.