Directions(Q.1-10): Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
1. One who deserts his principles or party.
ANS- c (Renegade -a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.)
2. One who intervenes between two or more parties to settle differences
ANS- b (Connoisseur- an expert judge in matters of taste.
Intermediary-a person who acts as a link between people in order to try and bring about an agreement; a mediator.)
3. The habit of always admiring oneself
ANS- c (Narcissism – excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one’s physical appearance.)
4. To take back, withdraw or renounce
ANS- d (Recant -say that one no longer holds an opinion or belief, especially one considered heretical.)
5. A pen for small animals
(hutch- a box or cage, typically with a wire mesh front, for keeping rabbits or other small domesticated animals.)
(Pen = a small piece of land surrounded by a fence in which farm animals are kept )
6. A woman having more than one husband at the same time
ANS- a (Polyandry -polygamy in which a woman has more than one husband.)
7. Feeding on food made both of plants and flesh
ANS- c (Omnivorous- (of an animal or person) feeding on a variety of food of both plant and animal origin.)
8. One who destroys images or attacks popular beliefs
ANS- c ( Iconoclast -a person who attacks or criticizes cherished beliefs or institutions. )
9. Violation of something holy and sacred
ANS- c (Sacrilege -violation or misuse of what is regarded as sacred. )
10. A place where nuns live and work
ANS- c (Abode -a place of residence; a house or home.
Convent- a school attached to and run by a convent.)