➤➤Hanchinal receives M.S. Swaminathan Award
i. The sixth prestigious M.S. Swaminathan Award for contribution in the field of agriculture given to R.R. Hanchinal, Chairperson of Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Authority, the government of India.
ii. He received the award for his contributions and sustained support to the areas of crop improvement for hot and very hot dry environments, seed production technology and intellectual protection rights in plant varieties.
➤➤Indian engineer Trupti Jain wins ‘Cartier Women’s Initiative award’
i. An Indian environmental engineer Trupti Jain has won 2017 prestigious ‘Cartier Women’s Initiative Award’ for providing women working on farms with water management solutions and protecting small farmers against droughts and flash flood.
i. Emma Morano, an Italian woman believed to have been the oldest person alive.
ii. The last survivor of the 19th century died at the age of 117.
iii. Morano, born on November 29, 1899, died at her home in Verbania, northern Italy.
i. Author Arjun Gaind launched his latest book, ‘Punjab: Building the Land Of Five Rivers’ in Mumbai.
ii. A panel discussion was organised on the occasion at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya in which Punjab’s history, heritage, culture and growth were discussed.
➧Points to remember-
- R.R. Hanchinal accloaded by M.S. Swaminathan Award
- He received the award for his contributions and sustained support to the areas of crop improvement
- The award is in a name of M S Swaminathan, who was an Indian geneticist and international administrator.
- Trupti Jain has won 2017 ‘Cartier Women’s Initiative Award’
- The Cartier Awards are an international business competition that aims to encourage women entrepreneurs to solve contemporary global challenges.
- World’s oldest person Emma Morano dies aged 117.
- Emma Morano was an Italian woman.
- Morano was born on November 29, 1899.