Constitution Day in India is celebrated on 26 November. It marks the anniversary of the adoption of the Constitution of India constitution by the Constituent Assembly of India on 26 November 1949 which later came into effect on 26 January 1950.
The Government of India declared November 26 as Constitution Day on 19 November 2015 by way of a gazette notification after Prime Minister Narendra Modi having earlier made such a declaration on 11 October 2015. The year of 2015 also witnessed the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar who had chaired the Constituent Assembly and played a pivotal role in the drafting of the Constitution. Earlier the day was celebrated as Law Day.
To spread the importance of the Indian Constitution, India will observe November 26 as the Constitution Day of India. The day has also been declared as the Constitution Day to spread awareness about the its architect Dr B.R. Ambedkar. The day was announced by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, after he laid the foundation stone of Dr Ambedkar Memorial at Indu-Mills Compound.
Modi also said that “on this day, every year, school children will be taught about constitution and Dr Ambedkar.”
Facts about Indian Constitution:
- The Constitution was adopted on November 26, 1949, while it came into force on January 26, 1950
- The Constitution of India was not typeset or printed but was handwritten and calligraphed in both English and Hindi
- The original copies of the Constitution of India are kept in special helium-filled cases in the Library of the Parliament of India
- Indian Constitution is known as a bag of borrowings
- The concepts of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity were taken from the French constitution
- The concept of five year plans was taken from the USSR
- The Directive principles were taken from Ireland
- The law on which the Supreme Court functions was taken from Japan
- It is the longest written constitution of any independent country in the world
- The Constitution of India contains 448 articles in 25 parts, 12 schedules, 5 appendices and 98 amendments
- The Constituent Assembly had 284 members, out of which 15 were women
- The draft was submitted in November 1949. After the submission, it took three more years to complete it
- All the 284 members of the Constituent Assembly signed the documents on January 24, 1950
- The constitution came into effect on January 26
- The national emblem of India too was adopted on the same day
- Indian constitution is known as one of the world’s best constitution especially since it has only seen 94 amendments.