Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP): The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) is a Government of India scheme that aims at generating awareness and improving the efficiency of welfare services meant for women. The scheme also aims at making girls independent both socially and financially through education.
Background of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- The Census (2011) data presented a substantial diminishing trend in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR), calculated as number of girls for every 1000 boys between age group of 0-6 years, with an all-time low of 918 in 2011 from 976 in 1961.
- The decline in CSR has been unabated since 1961. This was an alarming indicator for women disempowerment.
- It reflects both pre-birth discrimination manifested through gender biased sex selection, and post birth discrimination against girls. The decline was widespread across the country and has expanded to rural as well as tribal areas.
- Shocked by the sharp decline, the Government of India announced Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) programme to address the concern of decline in CSR in 100 gender critical districts.
- Synchronized & convergent efforts are needed to ensure survival, protection and education of the girl child.
The General Goal of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao(BBBP) Scheme is to Celebrate the Girl Child & Enable her Education.
The Prime objectives of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) are as under: –
- Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- Ensure survival & protection of the girl child
- Ensure education of the girl child
Key Points Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme was introduced to address the issue of declining child sex ratio (CSR).
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22nd January, 2015 in Panipat, Haryana.
- This is implemented through a national campaign and focused multisector action in 100 selected districts with low CSR, covering all States and UTs.
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Objectives of the scheme include preventing gender-biased sex selective elimination, ensuring survival and protection of the girl child and ensuring the education of the girl child.
- Following are some strategies adopted by this Beti Bachao Beti Padhao:
- Implement a sustained Social Mobilisation and Communication Campaign to create equal value for the girl child and promote her education.
- Place the issue of decline in CSR/SRB in public discourse, improvement of which would be an indicator for good governance.
- Focus on Gender Critical Districts and Cities low on CSR for intensive and integrated action.
- Mobilise and Train Panchayati Raj Institutions/Urban local bodies/Grass-root workers as catalysts Tor social change, in partnership with local community/women’s/youth groups.
- Ensure service delivery structures/schemes and programmes are sufficiently responsive to issues of gender and children’s rights.
- Enable Inter-sectoral and inter-institutional convergence at District/Block/Grass-root levels.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP): FAQs
Q. What is the new name of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao?
Ans. BADLAV (Beti Aapki Dhan Lakshmi Aur Vijay Lakshmi)
Q. WHO launched Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme?
Ans. PM Narendra Modi on 22nd January, 2015 in Panipat, Haryana.
Q. Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao is implemented by which ministry?
Ans. Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare & Ministry of Women and Child Development.
If you download the Adda247 App. You get acesss to valuable Study Material for FREE
- Notes & Articles
- Job Alerts
- Current Affairs Updates
- Current Affairs Capsules
- Mock Tests