Agriculture in Uttar Pradesh: Agriculture sector is the prime mover of economic growth in Uttar Pradesh. A vast majority of the population in the state virtually relies on agriculture for its livelihood. A large number of people get their employment from the agriculture sector. Approximately 50% of the workforce in the state of Uttar Pradesh is directly or indirectly linked to agriculture. The state government has targeted to double the income of farmers by 2022.
In this article, Agriculture in Uttar Pradesh we will know about all the key details about the agriculture sector in Uttar Pradesh that is important for the upcoming examinations of UP Government jobs.
- Uttar Pradesh Gross cropped area has the highest share (14%) followed by Rajasthan (12.8%), Madhya Pradesh (12.1%) and Maharashtra (11.9%) as per Agriculture census (2015-16).
- In terms of Net sown area, UP is at 4th place (94.4%) and Gujarat has the highest share (98.3%).
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest share in Net Irrigated Area (83.2%) followed by West Bengal (68.2%).
- West Bengal tops in the production of Rice, UP occupying the 2nd spot in the country.
- UP is at 1st position in the production of wheat followed by Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- In Bajra cultivation, the state of Uttar Pradesh is behind Rajasthan at the 2nd place in the nation.
- Uttar Pradesh occupies the top position in the production of the Wheat, Barley, Sugarcane, Potato, Muskmelon, Meat, Mango, Honey and
- In terms of Rapeseed and Mustard production, Uttar Pradesh is at the 3rd position after Rajasthan (1st) and Haryana (2nd) in the list.
- Total Food grains production is highest in Uttar Pradesh followed by Madhya Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh stands on the top in the country in terms of livestock (excluding poultry) at 13.4% share in the total livestock of the country.
- In Milk Production UP is at the top with the production of 318.20 lakh metric tonnes (2019-20).
- Barabanki is the leading producer of the opium in the Uttar Pradesh.
- The highest producer of the orange in the state is Saharanpur
- Pratapgarh is the biggest producer of the Amla/Aonla in Uttar Pradesh.
Around 60 % of the total population of Uttar Pradesh is dependent on Agriculture. Input of agriculture sector is significant in Economic progress of the state.
Agriculture in Uttar Pradesh: FAQs
Q. Which district is the leading producer of Opium in UP?
Q. Which state is at the top in production of Milk?
Ans. Uttar Pradesh
Q. In which district of UP Amla is majorly produced?
Q. What is the position of UP in the production of Rice?
Ans. 2nd Position after West Bengal
Q. Which state is at the top in production of Total Grains?
Ans. Uttar Pradesh
If you download the Adda247 App. You get acesss to valuable Study Material for FREE
- Notes & Articles
- Job Alerts
- Current Affairs Updates
- Current Affairs Capsules
- Mock Tests