SSC Stenographer Exam pattern: -
Staff Selection Commission conduct an All India Open Competitive Examination for recruitment to the posts of Stenographer Grade ‘C’(Group ‘B’ Non-Gazetted) and Stenographer Grade ‘D’(Group ‘C’ Non-Gazetted).
Scheme of Examination: The examination will consist of a written examination and skill test in stenography.
(A) Scheme of the written examination and syllabus:
The written examination will consist of one objective type paper as shown below
Educational Qualifications :
Must have passed 12th Standard or equivalent from a recognized Board or University
SSC Stenographer Syllabus for written examination:
General Intelligence & Reasoning: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type.The test will include questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, problem solving, analysis, judgement, decision making, visual memory, discriminating observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series, non-verbal series etc. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationship, arithmetical computation and other analytical functions.
General Awareness: Questions will be designed to test the ability of the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its Neighboring countries especially pertaining to Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene, General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research etc. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline. For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability /cerebral palsy affected candidates and opting for scribe there will be no component of Maps/Graphs/Diagrams/Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning / General Awareness Paper.
English Language & Comprehension: In addition to the testing of candidates' understanding of the English, its vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and its correct usage, etc. his/her writing ability, would also be tested.
Skill test in Stenography:
Candidates who obtain the qualifying marks in the Written Examination as may be prescribed by the Commission will only be called for the Skill Test. It may also prescribe qualifying marks in each part of the Written Examination.
The skill test will be of qualifying nature and the commission will fix the qualifying standards in the skill test for different categories of candidates. The candidates will have to appear for the stenography test. The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English / Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’. The matter will have to be transcribed on computer only. The evaluation of transcription will be done electronically only. The transcription time is as follows:-
The Commission reserves the right to introduce additional stage of examination which would be notified at suitable time, if considered necessary.
The questions except in Part III will be set both in English & Hindi.
There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
For Stenographer Grade ‘D’ : 50 minutes ( English )
65 minutes ( Hindi )
For Stenographer Grade ‘C’: 40 minutes ( English )
55 Minutes ( Hindi )
(1) If the candidates do not indicate the medium of stenography test in Column No.14 of the Application Form, the Commission will consider English as the medium of stenography test for such candidates.
(2) There is no exemption from skill test for any category of candidates.
(3) Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment.
(4) VH candidates will be required to transcribe the matter in 75 minutes for English Shorthand or in 100 minutes for Hindi Shorthand for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ and in 70 minutes for English Shorthand test and in 95 minutes for Hindi Shorthand test for the post of Stenographer Grade‘C’.
(5) The skill test will be held at the Commission’s Regional/Sub Regional Offices or at other Centres as may be decided by the Commission.
(6) Detailed instructions regarding Skill Test will be sent by the concerned Regional/Sub Regional Offices of the Commission to the candidates called for the Skill Test.